What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just bought a butterwort.

Yea, I just bought a butterwort from franks nursery. I was wondering what is the proper way to water them, do they need the plastic cover that came with them to remain on like my sundew? Or can I just fill the tray hes sitting on with distilled? Oh and about feeding him bugs and stuff? I just set a bug onto the leaf right? Oh yea, and its sending up a long flower stalk too, should I cut it off? I need all the info possible on butterworts, thanks a ton.

Check out the plant care section of Petflytrap. The link is at the top of this page.

I did, it doesnt tell me much about how to properly care for the butterwort though. I did set it in a inch of water, but I have no dome available for it, and its looking okay...but tommorow I think its gonna start wilting if I dont help it today. Its leaves arent dewy at all, theres not much air circulation up on the window however, but theres like no humidity, my sundew is only surviving because it has a cup over it. Help guys! Any suggestions?

but1.JPG

Thats one of the pictures, heres another one from a different view.

but2.JPG

So, should I cut off the flower? Or?

Your Ping looks like P. primuliflora so you can keep it wetter than you are doing. They like to be really wet, with the water level with the soil surface sometimes. Don't give it too much light, light shade or dappled sun. A high water table will help the humidity around the plant too. Don't cut the flowers off, enjoy them.

Vic

Alright, so basically I should flood it with water?

I just filled up the tray as full as it can go, thats as much as I can do.

Nice Pinguicula Primulaflora!!
biggrin.gif
just keep on filling the tray to keep it at a constant full!!! To set seed in the flower, just get a toothpick, get some pollen from the anthers in the back of the flower, and put it on the stigma in the front. I recently did the same! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

Thanks man! Hopefully all this water im giving it will nurse it back to health! I hope to see improvements tommorow before I have to go to work. Now, about the leaves, how come there not dewy at all?

humidity is probbably too low. Try raising it...
confused.gif

Alright, I have filled the tray to the tippy top, put it somewhere where it will only get about 3-4 hours of sun a day, dappled though. Should he turn out OK? I left the flower on which is almost fully opened. I really dont want this one to die, im sick of my BUTTIES, get it? Instead of buddies, butties? Anyways I really dont want this guy to die.

Trapsrock,

First of all, that is one awesome name for the forums!!! I'm jealous because I didn't think of it first!!!
tounge.gif

As for your butterwort, I purchased one the other day myself. When I got home, I immediately placed it in a tray of water and removed the cover. The next day, I noticed the same thing that you did....it looked like it was starting to dry up and wilt!!! I have a 10 gallon aquarium that I keep a nepenthes in, so I decided to place it in there with it (tray of water included). Now it looks beautiful!!! So if you have any type of aquarium/terrarium to help boost the humidity, you should try and place it in one if you can. I will post a picture of mine tomorrow.

About the flowerstalk, I also have one growing on mine. It is only on the flytraps that you would be concerned about wheter to cut it off.

I hope this bit of info was helpful, and best of luck with your new CP companion!!!

Back