What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chooseing a ping

I'm in a possition now to handle adding my very first ping to my CP collection. However, I don't know what type to get. I would prefer a plant without a dormancey, or one that has a winter, rather then summber dormancy if it does have one. I also really like the tightly rossetted ones that almost look like a flower sticking out of the ground. I also love the look of the whiteish and pinkesh ones. Is their a plant that would be ideal for me, or are my requirements too high? Oh and since it will be my first ping, I should prefer an easy keeper, but it's not required. Thanks all
smile.gif

-Darcie

P.S. I'm still working on getting some vulgaris planted outside too
smile.gif

Brian, now THAT'S a nice page! What is the main page for this site? I couldn't find it.

Tim,

That is part of Eric Partrat's "A World of Pinguicula". Just type this in a search engine and you should come across the main page.

Darcie,

P.ehlersiae, agnata, moranensis, esseriana and hybrids like 'Weser', 'Sethos', 'Gina','Tina', agnata x gypsicola etc. are good plants to start with. They do not have a long winter dormancy, and most can be kept wet year-round(the agnata x gypsicola should be kept moist/dry during the winter). These are all tropical/subtropical plants.

Darcie,

My Pinguicula 'Sethos' giveaway is still going on in the trading forum. The ease of growing this Pinguicula clone is one of the main reasons I am offering it free for the shipping charges to anyone interested.

darcie, as good and fat and plumpy josephs pings are, you should take advantage of the offer! i sent out money a couple of days ago, I can't wait to get them!!!

My first choice would be P. ionantha, as it doesnt need a dormancy and flowers alot. 2nd would have to be P. emarginata.

P.emarginata is an easy plant to grow if kept warm and wet year-round. During the summer, the soil in one of the pot with this plant dried up for a few hours and I lost a few plants. All of my other mexican pings seemed fine.

Back