What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. poldinii

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Joe,

That might work. My mix doesn't have any 'basic' ingredients per say and I have never checked to see if it truly is basic or acidic. Just for those interested here is what I use 4:1:1:1:1:1:1:1:0.5 of perlite:vermiculite:potting soil:lava rock:milled sphag:sand:charcoal:clay pellets:peat.

Is dolomite the same as lime? or a type of?

So it's either dolomite or oyster shells so far...back to the lab.
tounge.gif

Dolomite is calcium magnesium carbonate, and you should be able to get it at a fish/aquarium store. I believe some African cichlids prefer a substrate of this stuff.
Ironically(pun), you can get laterite and flourite(a cheaper form of laterite, which looks nothing like the popular mineral-ie green,clear-purple that you see at gem shows) at fish stores, too.

Regards,

Joe

Anyone know anything about Calci-sand for reptiles? Supposedly a natural calcium carbonate substrate. Hehe, plus you can get it in 'glow-in-the-dark'.
wink.gif

Calci-sand would probably be out. Is designed to be easily metabolized by herps so I am guessing there has been some kind of 'modification' to it. But there is always something to be said for experimentation (but usually on a plant you have spares of
smile.gif
)

I have bearded dragons and I went with the stuff that is actually ground walnut shells, as it's less expensive. calci-sand is like $10 a bag.
Now, I wonder how the ground shells would work for some cp like small Nepenthes? I might have to wash some and try it.

Regards,

Joe

Hmm, as far as the calcareous substrate for the P. poldinii, I think i'm going to go with trying some of Tamlin's tuffa sand. Maybe it'll do a little better if it feels somewhat closer to home.

So far we would have for a mixture:

perlite:vermiculite:tuffa sand @ 2:2:1

Not really sure what else may be needed. I have a bag of sand labeled as "Western Desert Sand" but i'm not really sure if this sand is good for cp's at all.

I may toss a little peat into the mix in a few, or provide a layer of milled sphagnum on top of the mix.

Other than that, it actually looks like this plant would do well growing out of Tamlin's tuffa rock.

Back