What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. poldinii

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Does anyone have any info on P. Poldinii? I'm going to try growing some from seed and i'm not sure if it needs anything more than a normal ping. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the link Bob. I ran across that one too, just wish that all the info was filled in. One day though.
smile.gif

Anyone ever try growing this one?

I had the chance to visit one of the location in NE Italy of Pinguicula poldinii . It is a temperate species and reading the article of Jurg Steiger in ICPS is a need.

If I resume many years of growing temperate species :
It is not a hard species to grow but need few requirements.

It is a calcareous species that need calcareous in its growing media.

I use the following mix : 2 vol perlite, 2 vol vermiculite, 1 fine sand, 1 sand 1mm, 2 pouzzolane (volcanic rock) and 2 calcareous clay. In France, I found a calcareous clay in my supermarket for cat toilets, perfect for the components and for the price (2$ for 20 liters).

I use it for all my calcareous [/I]Pinguicula and for my Mexican.

The mix must be wet all the growing season in France from march to September.

What is important not only for this species, but for all the Temperate
Pinguicula is a big box (see the pictures in the web site a world of Pinguicula in the "growing tips section" in the garden topic).

In winter, the temperature are cold and the plant rest under a hibernacula.

If you need more informations, I will be happy to help you.

Regards

Eric Partrat

Thanks for the helpful info Eric.
smile.gif
But I hope you know that now i'm going to have to bug you again when I get the seeds.

wink.gif

Sowing temperate Pinguicula is easy : I use a pot with the required media for the adults, I sow the seeds on and then let the pot in winter to frost from December to march (protected from directs rains ). Then in march for me the plantlets appeared.
I keep the pot for two years as some late palntlets can appeared the following year

I've thought to use cat litter (hartz ph5 in fact), but from the way it seems, it's low fired clay which tends to break down into the soil. Almost becoming mud. Is this ok? Or would I want to use a calcerous clay that didn't break down? Thanks for the help.

As I wrote previously, I use a cat litter made of natural calcareous clay, not sand or hartz (Quartz ?) with the following components :
Attapulgit (55%) - Sepiolit (20%) - calcit and dolomit (15%) - other (10%), pH = 8.7, size of the media : from 0.5 to 6 mm.

It is not becoming mud as I use draining media made of other material

P. poldinii need calcareous to grow. Don't you have any calcareous in USA (chalk, gypsum, dolomite if no calcareous cat litter ?)

Cheers

Eric Partrat

By the way, I have update the page on P. poldinii in the website.

Hey Eric,

Hartz is a brand name of cat litter. I am not really sure if we have calcareous clay catitter in the states but I am sure a quick trip to one of out many pet supermarkets would provide a fast answer. I'll be going later this week, maybe I can find something

Thanks for the site update eric. Hmm, all I can really find out so far is that the ph is 5, and it has the following:

Substrate Data (Element mg/kg)
Al 8150 Ba 23.5 Ca 169 Co 9.7 Cr 68 Cu 7.7 Fe 9480 K 1060

I can't exactly read all of this and make sense of it at the same time though.
tounge.gif

Those are the atomic symbols as denoted on the Periodic Table

Al = Aluminum
Ba = Barium
Ca = Calcium
Co = Cobalt
Cr = Chromium
Cu = Copper
Fe = Iron
K = Potassium

And the numbers are how much mass (in milligrams) each component contributes to a single kilogram of total cat litter

Thanks Pyro, here's a little more detail for you:

Al 8150 As 0 Ba 23.5 Be 0.4 Be 0.4 Ca 169 Cd 0Co 9.7 Cr 68 Cu 7.7 Fe 9480 K 1060 Mg 1590 Mn 20.1 Na 61.9 Ni 13.9 Pb 0 Sb 0 Se 0 Sn 0 TI 0 V 28.3 Zn 41.2 Ag 0

pH= 4.7
CEC= 43.0 me./100g

So...would this work?
tounge.gif
So far i've seen that the pieces are 1-3mm and stay seperate when wet. (don't break down too easy)

As = Arsenic
Be = Berylium
Cd = Cadmium
Mg = Magnesium
Mn = Manganese
Na = Sodium
Ni = Nickle
Pb = Lead
Sb = Antimony
Se = Selinium
Sn = Tin
Ti = Titanium
V = Vanadium
Zn = Zinc
Ag = Silver

(And all that without having to get my periodic table out
smile.gif
)

This might work but I think you would want to look for something that is more calcium based, like Eric said, true calcareous clay. The total part calcum in these mixes is really small over all; 169 milligrams per kilogram works out to 169 parts per million. If you are trying to calcify the media it would probably need a bit more that that.

Wow, nice job on the elements. Hmm, does it necessarily need the clay? I could always just toss an antacid in it. (calcium carbonate)

I think the antacid would cause some funky reaction with the peat. What you might want to do that I have taken to doing is just substitute potting soil instead of peat when making your mix. But I will caution that in my mix the potting soil only makes up 1 part in about 10

Gypsum is neutral; the sulfur balances out the calsium.

No calcium in vermiculite huh?
tounge.gif

No, but in the past, for Mexican pings that people wanted a non-acidic mix for(or less), a mix of perlite and vermiculite was used. I never had much luck in that mix. i hope I am not confusing calcium rich and alkaline, but wouldn't it work to add some dolomite to the above mix for this species, with a little peat for the sake of organics?
I am following this more closely, as I have the same seed as Vertigo.
Regards,

Joe

Hmm, so far i've come up with grinding up some oyster shells...or they sell it for birds already broken up. So what if we mix up perlite:vermiculite:sand:eek:yster shells? (give or take the sand. I have some for my cacti but I don't know if it's the right type. I believe it's western desert sand, but it's for top coats and decorations apparently)

Back