What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

European temperate pings for cold climate (quebec)

Hi,

I was wondering which European temperate Pinguicula could resist to our cold Canadian winter. Here, we have P. vulgaris and, more in the North, P. villosa (which I haven't the chance to see in nature... yet&#33
wink.gif

I find these species very attractive, and they will be even more if I can keep them outside all year round (with or without protection). Any idea on how low temperature they can survive?

Hi Tom,
I'm from Alaska and spent alot of time studying our native pings. I found P. villosa and vulgaris all the way up to the arctic circle and P. villosa even past it. So with snow cover or mulch they should be able to withstand temps of -50F at least.
P. villosa is my all-time favorite temperate ping. They grew everywhere back home. I posted a bunch of pics on here somewhere..
Good luck!
-Bonnie

Hi,

thanks for your reply! I already grow P. vulgaris and vallisneriifolia, both from seeds and few years, with success, and just received P. grandiflora.

Should be great to see P.villosa, although it must be hard to find this tiny marvel, because of its size... I'll look after your pics for sure. Ever tried to grow it?

I grew P. villosa in my bog garden for about 4 years and I've raised many seedlings in my windowsill. They really aren't hard to find once you learn how to look. I was always told this species was rare in my area of Alaska but once I learned their tricks I was able to find them in just about every sphagnum bog I passed.
smile.gif

Sorry for asking you on the cultivation, I find it when I looked after your posts! Your pics didn't worked anymore unfortunatly
sad.gif
. Do you still grow them on windowsill in OR?

It is always easier when you find the species 'little secrets' on the field. Which such tricks, you can find any specie you want (almost) just by looking a map. I still have many spp to find here (D.linearis for example), but the few i've already found are easily located in a bog, knowing their place in the horizontal stratification. An exeption to this is D.rotundifolia which is still surprising me by finding it in always non-sense place
wink.gif
What a hardy plant!

Back