What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ping id

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I have not been able to find enough information to id this ping. It was purchased on 2/24/2001. It was about 2 inches in diameter. Today it is just over 4 inches in diameter. I has produced two new offshoots since purchase. It does not produce plantlets on the leaves. The photo of the plant below is of one of the offshoots. Of the 2 plants originally purchased, there are now 5. Each is in bloom with several flower stalks with a single white flower.

I have not had any rotting problems except when I put ants on the leaves. The plant does well on a diet of gnats.

P_ionantha.jpg

P_ionanthaFlowerWhite.jpg

The flower is white. But the next photo makes it appear somewhat purple. This was due to poor lighting at the time the photo was taken.

PingionanthaFlower3.jpg

I do have several guesses of my own, but each time I try to ID the plant, something doesn't fit.

Thanks.

[edited 3/7/2003]

Its looks to me like an album form of P. primuliflora.
But you say it doesnt produce plantlets so that wouldnt fit, perhaps yours just has a diminished ability to do so.
wink.gif

Looks like P.ionantha, another warm-temperate ping that is found in its natural habitat growing with P.primuliflora.

I have been thinking it is ionantha. I first thought it was primuliflora, but the flower color does not support that.

Nick,

Is the pic of the rosette acurate as to colour? The slight purple tinging toward the middle, is that really there, lighting or is my monitor off on colour again?

My guess is that the colors showing in the photo of the plant is just a trick of the lighting and that the plant is 100% all green.

The plant is 100% green.

Okay that's kind of what I thought, wanted to check though.

You're right though Nick, when I saw the one pic of the flower (the pinkish one) the other day I thought maybe primulaflora... Now, I'm 98% sure it's not.... Not really any help am I? lol

My guess is from observation of the vegetative parts of the plant, though those can fool ya. The overall shape of the plant, like a multipointed star, and the pointy shape of the leaves themselves are strikingly reminiscent of Pinguicula planifolia but could even be Pinguicula ionantha.

Most of the warm-temperate pings(lutea, ionantha, caerulea, planifolia, and to a less certain extent, primuliflora) look alike when they are not in flower. Primuliflora can be easy to spot in a collection by the number of plantlets it produces. All of the planifolia I have seen are colored red/green or a deep red(lots of sun). I have never heard of or seen an alba form of planifolia, although it could exist. Of all the photos of ionantha I have seen, the plants have green/light green/yellowish rosettes like lutea and caerulea.

Here are some better photos of the flowers.

P_ionanthaFlower1.jpg

P_ionanthaFlower2.jpg

P_ionanthaFlower3.jpg

The last photo shows some color on the lower petal. This is a stain on the flower.

Sure looks like Pinguicula ionantha. Pinguicula ionantha is the only ping to stick out its beard just like that.

Its fun to see the progression over time in your pictures, very well documented!
biggrin.gif

Back