What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you have any info

• Thread starter arie
  • Start date
I heard about use of cat sand as a very good base
for Ping's.
Do you know anything about it?
Have some one any experience in it?
Arie

I was the first (as really fond of Pinguicula in France) to investigate for easily available growing media for my Temperate Pinguicula . Jurg Steiger wrote that the best media was the one from habitat but it is not easy to have in large quantities. So I tried many media and finally tried the cat litter I give to my cat.

It is a natural calcareous clay, not sand with the following components :
Attapulgit (55%) - Sepiolit (20%) - calcit and dolomit (15%) - other (10%), pH = 8.7, size of the media : from 0.5 to 6 mm.

It is not expensive, it gives healthy calcareous temperate Pinguicula. Is is easily available in most shoppings centers in France, some in Germany.

Most of the temperate Pinguicula growers use it now at least in France with a high success.

Cheers

Eric Partrat

Maybe I will also try cat litter as a media componant for pings. The litter I have for my cat has some anti-bacterial agents though.

Welcome to the forums Eric!

Back