What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tropical mexican pings

I read from the Savage Garden that Mexican pings form winter leaves. But in the tropics, the temperatures are constant thruout the year, so do they form any "winter" leaves?

Hey,
The soils get drier and the ping forms succulent leaves, and there is a temp. drop.
Kevin

Hi, so without this drop in temp and soil wetness, the pings won't produce the winter leaves? Is this ok, or do they need to produce such leaves in the same way that VFTs require their dormancy?

Hello,
Its when Pings produce their succulent leaves, they put up flowers, so i would put it in dormancy, let it make succulent leaves, flower or whatever, then have carnivorous leaves bigger next year. Without a soil or water amount drop, they will not go dormant.
Kevin

Hello, thanks for the reply... so to put them into dormancy, I just reduce the light and watering? No need for temp drop? Also, when should this be? Around Nov-Jan?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarracenialuver @ Aug. 10 2003,2:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">   Its when Pings produce their succulent leaves, they put up flowers, so i would put it in dormancy, let it make succulent leaves, flower or whatever, then have carnivorous leaves bigger next year. Without a soil or water amount drop, they will not go dormant.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually this is not all together accurate. Many Mexi-Pings will flower while in carnivorous phase (I have at least 5 species doing this now.) Never force dormancy onto your plants! If a Mexi-Ping 'feels' the need to go dormant it will and at that point you should reduce watering. Also, it seems that sometimes a plant will go dormant for an extended period (I have one that hes been dormant for more than 2 years) I also do not recommend trying to force a plant out of dormancy, wait for it to begin growing carnivorous foliage before resuming watering

Hey,
I was a bit sketchy there, i have a couple mexi pings in flower to. Sorry for the confusion.
Kevin

I wasn't trying to come down on you Kevin, just trying to jump in where I have some extra knowledge. $50 says you could beat me hands down on Sarr cultivation techniques
smile.gif

Hey,
Lol, i do know most about sarras....
smile.gif
but I was in a hurry and thought I could lend a broken hand
wink.gif
Kevin
smile.gif

Any hand is good, it is better than no information at all. And I don't think I would say it is broken, based on your experience you were correct. With more experience comes more insight
smile.gif

Thanks for all the replies! I think my Ping has carnivorous leaves at the moment, but I'll post some pics soon to make sure.

Back