What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula vulgaris

I've sown these ping seeds on sand/long fiber sphagnum moss... Dont know the ration, but it looks good... :wink:

I was just wondering a few things:
a) How long does it take to germinate?
b) How fast does it mature? Inch-wise...
c) Do i cut off flower stalks?
d) Anything else???

Help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Greg

They take about 16 days (2 weeks +) to germinate in my experience. im not sure about the growth rate, sorrie. Why would you cut of the flowr stalk? pollinate for seeds. Keep damp AND NOT wet during dormancy, the dormant bud rots easly. Seedlings can skip a few dormancies if too small.

P.vulgaris is considered a hard to grow temperate pinguicula. The seeds need stratification or cold for 3-4 months for uniform germination. I have never cut off the flowre stalks of my pings as the flowers are too beautiful(unlike the flytraps;) Pings in general mature fast from seeds. I would say a year or two under ideal conditions.
P.vulgaris requires frigid winters with a dormancy period of around 5 months. During the winter P.vulgaris produces gemmae around the base of its hibernacula.
These can be sown on their parents soil and mature faster than seeds.

they grow better outside if you have a suitable spot.

Well, I do live where they are native, but I dont really have any place that would get humid enough... The only place I can grow them is in half a barrel, so it would turn into a block of ice in the winter, unlike the ground...

Does anyone know how fast they mature?

Thnaks for the help!!!!!!!

Presently the only Pinguicula vulgaris I am growing I started from seed obtained form the UK CP seed bank. It is the Czechoslovakia form. After sowing the seed I kept the pot in a ziploc bag in my refrigerator for 2 months. After I brought it out the seed germinated almost immediately. It has been two years and I suppose I should have potted them up into larger individual pots and I might have gotten them large enough to bloom by now (2 years later). They are hybernacula in the refrigerator now, but in January I will give them each a large pot, perhaps they will finally bloom.

Back