What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quick p. moranensis question:

schloaty

Staff member
Hi ping people.
I want to try making a leaf cutting of my P. moranensis. I know the general idea, pull the leaf and lay it flat on the growing medium....But my question is: how long before I know whether I've had success or just a rotten leaf?

Hi schloaty,

A plantlet/buds will appear at the base of the leaf if the cuttings are successful. This may take a up to a month. Unsuccessful cuttings will rot, and these should be removed.
Generally, moranensis(common forms) cuttings are very easy to root.

If you have the conditions right, in my experience, the leaf will do one of three things within a few weeks.

1. The leaf will rot to mush. If this is going to happen, it usually happens within hours. Most often this happens if the leaf is kept too moist.

2. The leaf will shrivel up and become a dead dried flake. This usually happens if the leaf is kept too dry.

3. The leaf will persist until it forms one or more small plantlets. This usually happens sooner or later if you have the moisture, humidity, temperature, and light just right. If the leaf you are starting with is the entire leaf, including the part that attached it earlier to the "Mother Plant" then it usually begins forming plantlets earlier, but even a severed, partial leaf can produce multiple plantlets, it just usually takes much longer to begin.

Excellent! Thanks peeps! I will now go down to my mad-scientist laboratory....MWAAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAAA

With any luck, I'll have some plantlets to trade....

Back