What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. primuliflora forming plantlets on leaves

My P. primuliflora is froming little plantlets at the tips of the leaves.

If I want to grow these into new plants, can I cut off the end of the leaf or do I need to remove the whole leaf? Once removed do I just put the plant on LFS or onto peat?

If the leaves are touching the growing medium in the pot (they are not right now) will they form new plants and spread in thier current location?

I was going to experiment but decided to ask a few questions first.

Glenn
smile.gif

I'm not super postive on this, but I believe with the P. primuliflora you wait until the plantlets form roots before cutting them from the plant.

I accidently cut mine off and put it into some damp media and so far it's not showing too many signs of life. The leafs rotting away, but the plantlets are still there.

You can also do it the lazy mans way, wait until the original leaf rots away leaving the little plantlets rooted and growing on their own. No transplanting required.

Thanks for the info. I need to repot the plant at some point so I will probably do it the lazy mans way and pot up any seedlings when I repot the mother plant.

I've cut off the tips of the original leaves before the plantlets had roots many times to save some space for the mother plant. You'll have to put it in HIGH humidity though. Mine's in lfs, with a plastic cup sitting on top and kept in a warm area with a few hours of sun. The plantlets double in size every week, up until they hit almost an inch across. They'll certainly have roots by then.

Back