What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An experiment

CP2k,

Eric might help out in this, I will ask him and see.

Goldtrap,

I am not all that computer adept and when PFT had homepage space I could never figure it out. I think that when the system started fritzing way back that the homepages were dropped.

Intersting stuff. I am not sure all mexican pings can be lumped together like this. When I had a P. agnata , I used Peter D'Amato's original mix of perlite/vermiculie with a dash of peat, and it never grew. When "Savage garden" came out and he suggested peat/perlite/sand/vermiculite in equal portions, I changed it to that and it exploded.
I think Leo Song uses peaty mixes, but the bottom third of the pot is straight perlite, which would account for the good drainage.

Regards,

Joe
blues.gif

Joe,

You are quite correct, not all Mexi-Pings can be lumped together in this respect. I still grow emarginata and hemiepiphytica in my original mix (a really complex one similar to Pete's) and sharpii I grow in milled LFS. I suspect that plants that do not form succulent rosettes but prefer somewhat better drainage (moctezumae, agnata, etc.) can take either media, like I said above, I am growing one of my agnata in this mix and it is happy and the moctezumae are weeds in it.

Hi Joe,

You are correct that Leo Song regularly uses peat in the soil mix for his Pinguiculas. Some photos of his Pinguicula can be found on Wickedthistle's site: CSUF photos
Some of the giganteas were 8 or 9in. They are growing next to 4in square pots.
Larry's site also contains excellent pictures: 4.14.2003 LACPS meeting at CSUF
Also, be sure to check out Leo's gigantic P.'Titan' on Eric Partrat's page: Pinguicula agnata from "A World of Pinguicula"
These were grown in a peat based mix. The plants seem to be growing quite well. This plant really lives up to its name.
In my opinion, some sp of Mexican will really benefit from the coral mix, while others will grow well on a peat based mix with good drainage.

I just finished replanting all my Mexi-Pings. Ill keep you posted

Mike

CPK2,

You might consider putting Wickedthistle's CSUF link on the Nepenthes section, so some of them can gawk at that N. merriliana pitcher. I have seen other pics of this particular specimen, but that pitcher is absolutely unbelievable.

Regards,

Joe

hey guys,
the mexican Pings that I have replanted arent doing too well. They havent put any extroidinary growth out. I have only seen small and deformed growth. I think Im going to replant mine in a peat,sand,perlite,vermiculite mix.

How are urs doing?

Ike

I would like to say that what is the coral crushed used.

I have check around my house (in France) what is crushed Coral sold for sea fishes aquarium.

Most of the time, it is in fact "Maerl".
Maerl is a collective term for several species of calcified red seaweed. It grows as unattached nodules on the seabed, and can form extensive beds in favourable conditions. Maerl is slow-growing, but over long periods its dead calcareous skeleton can accumulate into deep deposits (an important habitat in its own right), overlain by a thin layer of pink, living maerl.
It is very rich (in its components) in Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Iron (Fe) and few trace elements.

Mg is an important part of Chlorophyllum (word ?)
Iron (Fe) is important for the photosynthesum with (N)
Ca is also important for the growth of the plant...

On the otherhand, you can also find true crushed coral (I thought it was prohibited) that is "pure" Calcium carbonate. Too much Calcium may leed to the plants "Sarracenia0" noted.

"Pyro" may use Maerl in fact mixed with other components and give a suitable mix full of all nutrients for his plants. My question is also how long will this fast growth last ? Few month, one year ?. How will it old ?
Many experiments interested to do "Pyro"...

This is some ideas to discuss...

I have tried adding some to one or two of my pots, and I think it is uneffected so far, as the plants seem to be neigther harmed, nor greatly helped. Still waiting to see though.

Cole

Anyone here tried to use diatomite to grow pings? It is a kind of fossilized diatom (unicellular algae with cell walls impregnated with silica). I have used it on some pings delivered one week ago and they appear to respond well to it.

Here in the USA we call it diatomaceous earth and it is often used in swimming pool filters. It is a bright, white and of talcum powder consistency, composed of shards of very small silica crystals that were once the skelletons of unicellular water creatures called diatoms.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]...diatomaceous earth ... often used in swimming pool filters ... of talcum powder consistency

Oh, those that we get here comes in various sizes and range from 0.5 mm to 16 mm in diameter. I find those in the 0.5 mm - 2 mm size range quite suitable. Water also flows very well through this medium and offers alot of aeration for the roots. I think the stock here comes from Australia.

can those who are trying this method give any reports of results yet? Do you see any improvement?

So far, most of my results have led me to change my media back to one without the additional calcium carbonate.

Thanks. Unless people see a true improvement I will not change away from the peat mix. So far it does well for me.

I am seeing great results, as soon as my life mellows a bit I will be sending some pics to a kind sould who has offered me a bit of webspace and try to show some comparison pics. With out pics thou I can tell you that growth is increased and size is up on almost all my plants.

I would like to point out that I am growing under conditions very different from PingMan's and as such the open media I am using might not be best for an indoor type setup.

Okay, I finally got around to getting those pics taken and Joseph has been nice enought to offer me some space so here are some pisc for you all:

These are the plants in my old media

Yucca Do 1716
YuccaDo1716.JPG

Yucca Do 1718
YuccaDo1718%20pair.JPG

gigantea "alba" x moctezumae
gigantea%20x%20moctezumae%201.JPG

laueana CP2 x moctezumae
laueana%20CP2%20x%20moctezumae%201.JPG

Now these same plants after transfering into the coral based media (note that these plants are in the same pots before and after):

Yucca Do 1716
YuccaDo1716%20purple%201.jpg

Yucca Do 1718
YuccaDo1718%20purple%201.jpg

gigantea "alba" x moctezumae
gigantea%20x%20moctezumae%202.jpg

laueana CP2 x moctezumae
laueana%20CP2%20x%20moctezumae%203.jpg

The obvious difference is the increase in size but the less obvious things are that the roots are thicker and more prominent, the leaves last longer, colour is better and the plants seem to flower more freely

I had planted an esseriana in peat, but inside a mussel shell. In another post I was raving about how it stank and molded the outside of the shell, but I never did transplant it out. Now it's been 2 or 3 months, and the plantlet is twice the size of its twin that is planted in just peat and plastic pot.

Next time though, I'm going to hammer the shell into bits and mix that with the media.:p

So wait... Mexican pings like basic soils?  o_O I wonder if that is the problem with mine... sphagnum moved in with right after I got it so maybe it is unhappy and has indigestion, lol do you think it needs a tums? LOL

... >_< not to sound horrid or anything, but I won't be able to sleep if I don't say something. Isn't is a little icky to be using coral as an additive when those animals are being decimated by people collecting it for such uses? I mean, here we are trying to grow plants who have been decimated in the wild from people destroying there homes... with the destroyed homes of other creatures o_O I vote shell and diatom fossils... ooo I bet they would like un sifted lake MI sand now that it has all that zebra muscle shell in it... I'll have to get some this summer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Jan. 08 2004,16:42)]So wait... Mexican pings like basic soils?  o_O I wonder if that
I don't think it is necessary that the soil be basic but I do believe they benefit from a portion of calcium. I think the real goal more than anything is that the media be very very open, perlite or zeolite or clay pellets or LWA robably work as an alternative too if your media was 70-80% made of them and then some organic material as binder

As for your argument about destroying coral populations, I don't think the stuff I am using is really coral as it looks to be just a bunch of crushed shells. Of course I could be wrong.

Back