What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterworts

what should be the recommended potting mix for the
growing butterworts?

Hello,

Most people suggest a nice loose mix of shredded sphagnum peat moss and perlite. I usually suggest a 60% moss to 40% perlite.

Now, depending on the variety of butterwort, you may not even have to worry about the perlite, as the root system may be so shallow that the density of the soil is not a factor.

But as a general rule, you want to keep with a good loose soil mix of sphagnum and perlite.

Hope this helps!

I have found that different butterworts will use different media. The Mexican variety does better for me with a heavy mix of 60% silica sand to 40% peat moss. They also like it a bit drier than most. The substrate can be a bit peatier for the sub tropicals and temperates along with wetter.

Am I saying this a bit late?
The only pings I grow seriously are the Mexican species. I use equal parts peat, sand, perlite, vermiculite, and lava rock. I also add very small amounts (pinches) of dolomite(lime) and gypsum.
Chris

Back