What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two temperate pings

I received these two temperate pings from Best CP today and I was curious, should they stay in their bags of LFS in the fridge and get repotted in spring or should I pot them up and let them sit outside in my cold MN winters? or put them in the terrarium and see if they'll start up? I'm new to temperate pings, but didn't find any great information on google for these two just pics and some short texts.

Any help would be appreciated!
smile.gif

These guys are best kept cold during the winter. They should survive freezing temperatures well enough outdoors, but I am not sure exactly how cold. They can be kept at the same temperature which darlingtonia and S.purpurea ssp. purpurea experience in the winter. I have not grown temperate pings, so I cannot give you a lot of info on these guys. Perhaps someone growing these guys can help?

P. vulgaris is a northern species, much more tolerant of hard freezes than P. vallisneriifolia which come southern Spain. P. vulgaris should be fine outside in MN. I would give the P. val. some protection and try not to let it get below 25F (-5C). Do you have a cold garage or similar?

I've no experience of over-wintering temperate Pings in the fridge, so I can't advise you on that. I think if I tried it, I'd lose the plants, mainly because my kids rarely shut the fridge door properly. I over-winter both species outside in S. England, but protect the P. val. from hard freezes in my cold frame. Our winters are generally a lot milder than yours.

Vic

Thanks Vic. yes, I do have an unheated garage but there is no windows/light... I suppose being in the garage or fridge either way they'd have no light. I do have a small metal and vynil greenhouse on my patio but I think it will be just as cold as outside during the coldest months as it's open on the bottom, or will this make a sufficient cold frame to keep the P. val over the winter?
BTW how wet should their soil be during winter, should they sit in water on a 1-2" deep tray or should it just be damp/moist? Should they not be potted at all when they are in the hibernaculum stage? I'll admit, I got anxious and potted them already.
wink.gif

I put them in 4" pots of about 60 % sand 40% peat with some chopped live sphagnum of the short velvety "carpeting" variety which had popped up in my highland tank. Since these pings will get "large" they will look cool coming up from the moss.

Hi Swords

Once they have formed their hiburnacula they are best kept 'just damp' until it begins to warm up again in spring.

Once the temperatures get below freezing, I would put the P. val. in the garage until the worst of winter is over. The hiburnacula dont need any light when it's really cold, just when it starts to warm up again. They might get better air-circulation in the garage than in the fridge and be less prone to rotting. I know if I leave any salad or veg too long in my fridge it soon goes mouldy, so there must be loads of fungus spores about. Mind you if you store the gemmae wrapped in just damp sphagnum in little zip-lock bags in the fridge you will probably be OK. Just don't blame me if your not!

Vic

Your warnings make sense so I will put them in the garage. I have a few sarracenia rhizomes in baggies in the fridge but perhaps I wouldn't have had to... I sure didn't like digging them up!

Back