What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula primuliflora help

M

MUtE

I got a Pinguicula primuliflora a week ago and never grew one before, i have been following its basic care instructions and it seems to be doing really great. I plan on getting a terrarium for it soon, right now its under a grow light and has a clear plastic cup over it to help build humidty. i was wondering if anyone could provide me with some basic tips and instructiosn to help my plant grow big and strong. thanx.

Hi MUtE,
  Sorry but I don't have any growing tips for you, but while your waiting for an answer from one of the experienced growers, try the search feature to find any other posts that mention P. primuliflora.  It's a quick way to find general info and answers to questions you haven't had to ask yet
wink.gif

smile.gif
Just click the
m_search.gif
button above to get started.

I grow mine as semi-aquatics during the active growing period, water visable at the substrate. This species and also P. planifolia are often submerged for long periods in habitat. I have heard tales of a mat of primuliflora that grew out on the waters surface. In winter, I keep them on the cold side, and allow the surface to dry to moist. I get prolific flowering at this time of year. My plants are now going on 3 yrs. old.

Tamlin, what do you mean by substrate?

Thanks

The "substrate" is the stuff you have the plant growing in. I use a standard 50/50 peat/sand with a layer of milled live long fiber sphagnum.

I am aware of the definition, and had no business asking one of your experience and knowlegde to clairify himself, sorry. It just suppised me. Do I take it that you put it in a pan of water so the water table is high enough to see?

Yes, that is essentially what Tamlin is talking about. This species enjoys wet conditions during the growing season and what he is suggesting is you find a conatiner just larger than the pot for the pot to sit in, and then to fill with water until it's almost to the top of the pot. This species also grows well in live sphagnum and is best known for it's ability to produce plantlets on the end of it's leaves. If you grow them in a tray, the tray can be covered by plants within a couple of years.

Regards,

Joe

Thanks.

Do I have to go through the archives, or is there a list of types of pings like like similar conditions? You're right about the plantletts, I have 9 kinds now, and that's the only one which has done this for me so far.

Regards

Tim,

You wrote:

"I am aware of the definition, and had no business asking one of your experience and knowlegde to clairify himself, sorry."

My very dear sir, this is the very place to ask these questions, and no apology is ever needed! I am pleased to offer what advice I can. Always remember though that for every grower, there are a new set of conditions, and all advice is just opinion based on observation. Even the Masters can only speak from the limits of their own conditions, and what works in one instance may not in another.

Observe your own plants carefully and they will tell you what they like and want.

In this case, the information I have received from other growers served me well, but it has not always proved to be so.

In my conditions, both P. primuliflora and P. planifolia appreciate very wet substrates. I grow the other N.A. temperate species (lutea, ionatha, caerulea and pumila) just moist in the growing season, and less so in winter.

It seems rare for plants to continue for more than 5 years or so, at least for me. A regular program of propagation is needed. For me, only P. primuliflora form plantletts at the leaf tips. I have not experimented with many leaf cuttings of the N.A. species, but I have had little success with my attempts at this, and I rely on seed to keep the plants in my collection.

I have one flowering now. Are they self fertile like Drosera?

Back