What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi everyone,

I remember distributing a plant labeled P.moranensis var. caudata "Longwood" that I received from a LACPS meeting. Right now, the plants are mass flowering for me, and I have to say that the flowers indicate this plant is in fact P.'Sethos'. I have a plant of P.'Sethos' from CC that is starting to produce flowers. I will compare the two for a more accurate id. Sorry for the confusion.

On a side note, after moving my entire collection of pings to an outdoor setup, I am noticing that much more plants are flowering. Some of my plants like P.ehlersiae(normal and alba), debbertiana var. pink flower, ehlersiae cv. Harold, gigantea, agnata(couple different forms), moranensis(couple different forms), gracilis,'Aphrodite' etc. only flowered after I moved them outdoors. I could not get my P.ehlersiae to produce flowers for almost 2 years inside the house(these were 2in diameter and mature). I believe that the combination of brighter lights, and cooler night temperatures(high 40's-mid 50's) caused the plants to flower.

Also, some of my pings(especially moranensis) would abort their flowers in my indoor setup. This has not happened outdoors(much better air circulation and less humidity).

Some of my pings(like potosiensis) produced flowers that were pale purple with heavy veining when they were grown indoors under lights. When I moved the potosiensis outdoors, the flowers produced were much darker, and the veins were barely noticeable(like the pics of potosiensis on the net). The leaves of my P.agnata are more red, much more thick, and they press flat against the substrate(grown outdoors). I can see how id confusion can result...

I agree on the light issue being helpful for flowering, my Pings have all gone nuts since I put them under a MH/HID set-up. I have flowers on potosiensis (5 going on 7,) moranensis (2 going on 4,) 'Aphrodite' (only 1 at a time but on its 4th,) emarginata (2,) YuccaDo 1718 (1 bloom on a 11" scape,) and flowers coming for YuccaDo 1716 and the maybe not moranensis 'Longwood' I love Ping flowers
smile.gif

You ought to check for phototropism. I've got three species flowering now, Primuliflora, caerula and what I think is planiflora, and they move all over the place.

Don't you mean Pinguicula planifolia ?

CP2K,
I got that same P.moranensis var. caudata "Longwood" from that lady.  It just flowered, here's a pic.  Does yours look like this?

moranensis.jpg

Larry,

The flower of my plant seems to have larger, fuller petals. This is probably due to cultivation differences.

This one I just picked up during the last meeting. The flower stalk seems oddly short, about 4" tall. The pic was taken the day it flowered, it grew a bit bigger the next day, but not by much.

The description of P.'Sethos' at the ICPS website describes the clone as having purple flowers with a starry throat. The P.'Sethos' from CC, which has now produced some flowers for me, matches the description on the ICPS website.

P."moranensis var. caudata Longwood" has bright pink flowers. This plant is a clone of moranensis x ehlersiae. The plant is mass flowering for me. The largest flowers are almost 2in from top to bottom. IMO, this plant seems more vigorous than my P.'Sethos'.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CP2k @ Mar. 23 2003,10:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">P."moranensis var. caudata Longwood" has bright pink flowers. This plant is a clone of moranensis x ehlersiae.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
CP2k

So the final verdict is that this is NOT 'longwood'? I better change my tag.

Darn pretty flower on mine anyways

It seems that perhaps most of the confusion came about due to misinterpreting the meaning of Cultivar (Cultivated Variety).  I believe that once a particular P. moranensis x P. ehlersiae clone had been selected and given the cultivar name of 'Weser' or 'Sethos' that some person/persons mistook this to be the name for the hybrid P. moranensis x P. ehlersiae in general and began renaming their plants accordingly. There may be any number of clones of P. moranensis x P. ehlersiae which may have been mislabeled in this way and this seems to have created much difficulty in sorting them out post-mortem.

Note: I understand that according to the rules, if a plant meets the published description in all regards, then, effectively it is that cultivar.

Hi Pyro,

A more accurate label would be P.moranensis x ehlersiae"Longwood Garden clone".

Here's a pic of mine. Looks lavender in the evenings, and hot pink in the sunlight.

ping.jpg

Back