What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping People??

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
This little forum doesn't get many visitors but I'm going to ask anyway.

I'm now turning my attention to getting some pings and I was wondering if anyone would like to share what their favorite is. I was thinking of maybe getting p. ionantha, p. moranensis and p. primuliflora....

But I'd like to hear from any growers who have a personal favorite. Or if anyone has had problems growing a particular one and think its to be avoided.

Thanks!
Suzanne

Suzanne,

I have enjoy the mexican pings so I would recommend P. moranensis. They are super easy and for the most part very tolerent.

Pyro

Thanks Pyro...I was begining to feel i wouldnt get any answers. I will check them out. :)

suzanne

Well I can say that I have grown all three and I like them all. The P.moranensis though has a very crappy root system. The other two have great root systems. ( pet peave I guess).

My P.Xweser survived 2 attacks of root mealies that wiped out a collection of sarracenias.

I think it is just the pseudo-succulent nature of P. moranensis that gives it such small roots. I have never had a problem with it though and I feel that their adaption to drier conditions makes them more likly to withstand abuse than other Pings.

Pyro

Hi,

I have the Mexican butterwort "G" and a P. primiflora. The latter one seeds but the "G" divides so far. I probably need to pollinate by hand since they are inside. Dunno. Maybe I'll try the other ping too, for fun :=)

Mexican pings develop stronger and longer root systems when grown in inoraganic mixes i.e. vermiculite and perlite mix in a 1:1 ratio. When grown with peat and other organic soils they grow faster, but with a weaker root system.

My Favourites are P. Laueana, superb red coloured rosettes with bright crimson flowers in winter and my ultra favourite is the tough as old boots P. Emarginata!
It NEVER stops flowering! ok, the flowers are less showy than the other pings but I like it anyway!

I LOVE P.Ioantha. It is very easy and rewarding with it's pretty white flowers and delicate blue circle in the center. Keep very moist to wet and it will grow wonderfully. And the Best part is NO DORMANCY if you keep temps warm and humidity high!!!

My favorite pings include all my moranensis var., typ. etc, laueana, gigantea and any other pings with giant leaves or flowers.

I may be a little late since you posted thids in October Plant A Kiss but I found some pretty cool pink pings called ehlersiae they almost look like roses
smile.gif
this is it in the summer
Pehlersiae.jpg

and this is what they look like in the winter...
Pehlersiae2.jpg

a VERY beautiful plant!
It made me want to go get one!

Wow !
Phantstic pictures...

anyway, I don't like Pings very much (don't know why) but I would rate most mexican species and hybrids as very easy.

My fovourite Ping is Pinguicula hetrophylla (most of these plants are P. medusina).
Looks a bit like a spider an new plants form at the tops of each leaf.
My plants are still very small and dormant now (need absolutly dry !!!! winter dormancy)

Martin

You know I think I am going to start getting more into pings there are some pretty cool ones now that I have looked. At first they seemed pretty plain to me (sorry if I am insulting anybodys plant) but I am starting to like them more now and they have some very pretty flowers on them. Yesterday I saved one from home depot and it's already starting to grow on me. (unintentional pun there)

Hey Martin I've been looking all over trying to find the ping you were talking about can you post a pic? Id love to see it
smile.gif

Oh wow
smile.gif
I haven't seen them look like that but then again I am pretty new at pings.
Thanks for the link I am finding out its not that easy to find them for pings
smile.gif

Unknownclown,

Where did you find that pic of P. ehlersai? I've got one but I want to know what conditions it needs to get that pink colour. Mine is just plain green
sad.gif

Pyro

Back