What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. potosiensis purple?

Hi,
  I'm just curious if anyone else grows, P. potosiensis.  Mine has turned purple/red and I was wondering if this is a normal color for it or is it getting too much light?  If I remember right last year it was a similar color.  It just isn't looking as good as normal, so I'm concerned its getting fried.  Could just be since I repotted it a few weeks back though.  Its only on 2 15" floros.  Here is a pic.  Its in the front left and back right of the tank.  

p-potosiensis.jpg

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of one of my own Pinguicula potosiensis growing under similar conditions. The new leaves should color up in a few more weeks.

ppotosiensis.jpg

I also have clones that have no red in their leaves and always look bright green.</span>

Don't worry, your plant are healthy. I have few plants rised from seeds : See pictures.

Pinguicula potosiensis

The green form is amazing, staying green even in full sun...

My only question is why is it published as a new species as the plant is so close to many forms of Pinguicula moranensis

Thanks for the help, that definately makes me feel better. I didn't want to kill this great ping.

Here is Pinguicula potosiensis in wild very variable in leaf coloration.

P_potosiensis2(LR).jpg

What fantastic color it can have. Wow!

What do you guys think of te taxonomy of this plant? I haven't seen flowers yet. Is it really different enough to merit a new species??

In my opinion, the flowers of potosiensis do not look all that different from my purple-flowered moranensis varities. P.moranensis just seems to be so common and widespread in Mexico.

Back