What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. Emarginata Blooming! **Happy**

but anyways i am really happy as for this is my first ping bloom and im all really happy... and excited to see what it looks like
smile.gif

just Somtign to Talk about i suppose,
Cya laters
Jim

Thats cool. Maybe you can get some seeds!

I have not been able to get any of my pings to make seed...I tease the flowers but the little buggers do nothing. I will keep trying. At least they flower a lot so I have more chances. I'm still hoping my lutea will bloom.

Suzanne

emarganta has the tiniest but nicest blooms i have seen in pings yet! I pollinated mine with a tiny needle and now seed pods are waiting to open!

Yes it is spelled correctly, but remember not to capitalize the second part of the name (specific epithet). i.e.

Pinguicula emarginata - not - Pinguicula Emarginata

See: CP FAQ about plant names

Most mexican pings cannot produce viable seed by selfing. However, crossing two different clones of the same species or two different species will usually result in viable seeds. I have tried crossing my gypsicolas, but the all the flowers failed to develop mature seedpods because the plants are of the same clone.

AGG? i cant believe this post has been drug up from the graveyard. i posted this in July. Lohell.. anyways you are quite correct cp2k it did not produce seed, instead it just pinched up a bloom... only to die off from the stem up in about 5 days of blooming... But now i have at the time 2 species blooming, P. lusitinica and P. x george sargent.. lusitanica quite dainty but quite cute. The robust bloom of the P. x george sargent makes me very happy lol.. but anyways... old posts coming back to LIFE!

Cya laters
Jim
wink.gif

Hi PoopHead,

I guess I did not have to dig deep as the post before my post was in Sept,2002.
wink.gif

My xGeoge Sargent has not flowered for me yet for some reason. You are lucky to get your plant to flower. Was this the xGeorge Sargent I gave you? I can't believe that it flowered before its parent
smile.gif

Hey, Lol

jeeze i had no clue that you were the same person that sent me those plants lol, crazy things... lol but ya they are the same Mother plants that came from your mother plant. But i did notcie one thing that is different between my mother plants and your mother plant.. yours is about 2x larger than your mother..(lol tha sounded weird "2x larger than your mother&#39
wink.gif
the bloom itself is just about 2/3 the size of the plant, i expect the bloom to open this saturday, i will take a picture of it on my 50mm. My D. x'lake badgerups are doign great there blooming crazy although i am having a hard time collecting the seed from there micro seed pods lol, but i am trying my best, i cant say ive had the best of luck with my D. Pulchella, as for it entered doramcny, so i dried the soil but this was a mistake so i lost one of the 2 that was sent, so then afterwords i struggled to keep the soil moist without drying out in my room.. but one day my head was somewhere... around the corner you know... and ya it was to late but i will get some, some other time at soem point.

but anyways,
Cya laters
Jim
wink.gif

It's a small world:)

D.pulchella does not need a dormancy and will not go dormant as long as you keep the soil moist to wet. The same goes for xLake Badgerup. As for collecting seeds, D.xLake Badgerup is a hybrid so the seeds will be sterile.

It all makes sense now lol.. hermm i must have not thought of that factor? but i thought that D. x lake badgerup recieved its name as for it was a complex hybrid? if so how were the hybrids pollinate to form the lake bagerup? hermm or am i wrong?

but anyways,
Jim
biggrin.gif

D.xLake Badgerup is D.nitidula ssp. omissa x occidentalis ssp. occidentalis. It is a natural hybrid found at Lake B. in Au. I heard that it is now extinct in its natural habitat.

Oh it all makes complete sense now, lol.. but oh my my P. x george sargent is in full bloom, a deep purple with a lighter hue in the center, look quite spiffy! But anyways

Cya laters
Jim

Back