What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. lusitanica

Hi,

I have some P. lusitanica growing for about a year, they are as big as a 5 cents piece each, and haven't flowered yet... They lived under the automn cold climate outdoor, lived under 12/12 light cycle since them, and no flower stalks yet...

Do this plant is sensible to photoperiod for flowering? To temperature? Both or none of them? Perhaps just time would do the trick, but I'm curious;)

Hi folks,

waiting and patience have paid off again! My P. lusitanica are flowering now, the flowers buds appeared 1 week after I set back the light to 16/8 from 12/12. It is, apparently, more sensitive to photoperiod than to temperature, which hasn't been a lot variable in my culture.

I'll try to get some pictures of them, but it can take a while before i can post them, since i have not a digital camera.

Nice work Tom! I never got my seed to germinate, although I am told this is an easy species. I have tried 3 times with seed. I would love to see your photos, and of the plants as well. If you happen to get fresh seed I would be very happy to trade for some. I understand that these are small plants. I think as big as a 5 cent piece is a very good specimen! I was very disappointed at my failure with the seed, it was the last seed of a population in Portugal that went beneath the bulldozers there. I had hoped to produce seed from my plants with which to repopulate a safer area there. What substrate and watering methods did you use for your plants?

Hi Tamlin,

I have sown and gown the seeds/plants into the same mix: 2 parts of peat for 1 part of sand. I used the tray method for watering, and the pot was always standing in water. Since I grow this pot along with my mex pings, I let the tray dry out during a part of winter, but since the soil had a lot of peat in it, it has never shown a sign of dryness. I pulled out the mosses once, and that's all! The biggest plants are measuring 1 1/4" in diameter. The seeds germinated at 18°C, since I sown them in a cool basement. The germination was fast, within 2-3 weeks. The pot was uncovered, and i haven't mist them at all. I'll try to pollinate them and I'll let you know about it (they are supposed to self-pollinate...)

Back