What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think my ping is dieing

I got a ping from lowes last week, and it was looking good when it got, even flowering. However over the last week the edges of the leaves have begun to curl and turn brown. This is progessing from one leaf to another. I have it in the exact same conditions as my vfts and d.capensis and d.anglica(i'm sure i didnt spell those right), all of whom love the conditions. The only thing i can think of that might be a problem is the amount of light. Could this be it? do the need more light than vfts?

Thanks
Ktulu

They need a lot less light than a flytrap. Sounds like the plant is not receiving enough humidity, or the lighting is too strong.

PS: your spelling is correct;)

how much humidity do pings require? If its not that, would something that shaded the plants help, or does it need a shorter photo period?

Thanks again
ktulu

I would recommend humidity above 70%. Most pings do not grow well with direct sun and require shading(50% or more). Full sun for a couple hours in the morning is fine, if they receive heavy shading in the afternoon.

ok thank you, i guess i need to get something to shade it with. Would spraying it once or twice during the day help also?

Thanks for the help
ktulu

I would not mist the plants. It is much better to grow it under a cover etc. if the humidity is low.

Heyla ktulu,

If you have your ping indoors, I would put it behind some miniblinds, which has helped my plants this hot summer. Mine only receive morning light, but the light has been so intense they're not doing well even with the 4 hours of direct light they receive. Maybe you could try putting up a piece of tissue or cloth rag near it for shade. As CP2k, it's not recommended to mist the plants, but a cover really helps in low humidity. If it's really hot you can put a small hole up in the top of the cover (can you tell I live in a deserty suburb yet?) Also, having the ping in a small tray of water really helps. I hope you're not using tap water?

I got two pings from Lowes as well and have them with my two neps in my mini-greenhouse. It sits inside at a window that gets bright light all day but no direct sun. The pings sit in a saucer of distilled water, and I also have an additonal bowl of water in the greenhouse for added humidity. At night I crack the lid to let the air circulate a bit (and because I read somewhere that both types of plants like distinct warm/cool periods). All four of the plants are doing great -- the pings are getting bigger and the neps are growing pitchers almost as I watch. I had originally had them all in a north facing window, and they didn't like that at all. By increasing the light, and keeping the humidity up, they really began to respond well.

Hope this helps. I'm still learning but so far so good.

cpwitch

what is the name of your plants ?

Temperate, Mexican, SE USA ?

It is high probable that the plant is Pinguicula primuliflora, as it is mass-produced in the U.S. and sold at the home improvement stores.

yeah i do think P. primuliflora is what i have, judging from the pics i have seen of it, both the leaf shape and the flower match.

Here is a photo of my Lowes Pinguicula primuliflora. It has grown much in size since purchase and I need to transplant the 12 or so plantlets it has produced.

P_primulifloraTop.jpg

yeah, that looks just like mine, but yours isnt dieing, so yours looks better than mine does.LOL

tried shading it, doesnt seem to be getting any better, but it doesnt seem to be getting any worse either.

I would try taking it off the tray system. Keep it on the dry side for a while (don't let it dry out). Try watering every couple of days. This has worked for me. Also try using a little more sand in your mix.

If this one dies (and we all hope it doesn't) then try one from here. I know it's hard to pass up the instant gratification of your local CP killer (sometimes I can't pass it up either) and you don't really have to, but get yourself a quality plant and try it out. The plant you have may have been doomed from the start.

Back