What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moranensis--my first ping

I know you get this a lot--but I've searched the Ping forum to no avail on this. TIA with a vengeance!

I have my first ping and I do not know when it will need to go dry(er). Do I just stop watering it at some point? When would that be?

It is in a terrarium with a bunch of tropical CPs (nepenthes, sundews of various sorts) and will get about 18 hours/day of light year-round. 75% percent humidity during the day at 80 F--about 85% at night at 68 F or therabouts.

(Oddly enough, I've decorated the terrarium as a winter scene! That's what passes for wit from me.
smile.gif
Perlite everywhere!)

Thanks again. I think that this may be my favorite plant. Love those leaves.

Steve

Steveo,

One of the great things about moranensis is that it can survive being wet while dormant so if you flub it some it doesn't matter
smile.gif

The best way to tell if a Mexi-Ping is going dormant is to look at the leaves. As dormancy approaches the leaves will get smaller and more compact, they will also be non-glandular.

Hope that helps

Pyro

Just to add to Pyro's comment... when the leaves get smaller, use less water. When the leaves get bigger, use more.

BTW, what are people's consensus on whether or not to bury roots that pop out of the medium after dormancy? I have a plant that seemed to have 10-25% of its roots just resting on the soil. It seems a bit difficult to bury the exposed short roots as the perlite/vermiculite compost is packed without digging up the whole plant.

The roots pop out from between the leaves of the rosette after dormancy. Their main purpose is to anchor the plant down as it produces larger summer leaves.
I bury them when they get very long and creep over the soil.

Most P.moranensis forms can be grown almost wet during dormancy. Some like the forms from el chico, guerruro etc. form every tight winter rosettes and can rot when kept too wet. If the rosette is like an onion bulb or contains numerous small leaves I would keep it dry. Some forms like moranensis 'G' and the common moranensis do not form very compact rosettes. These can be kept moist/damp during dormancy.

Emesis,

Almost all my Mexi-Pings have lifted their roots out of their media and I have given up trying to re-pot them when they do it. I don't know why they do it and the type of media doesn't seem to matter. I have yet to notice any detrimental effects to the plants.

Thanks, folks.

So it will tell me?  How very accommodating!

Steve

(Edited by steveo at 9:49 pm on May 26, 2002)

Thanks for the information CP2k and Pyro.

Here are some pictures of P. moranensis at various dormancy stages. (Apparently, I don't have a picture of my plant at complete dormancy.)

Summer leaves
P.moranensis1.jpg

Starting dormancy
P.moranensis2.jpg

Leaving dormancy
P.moranensis3.jpg

You folks are just too cool.

Thanks, Emesis.

Steve

Back