What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
pxweser_avatar.jpg

Pinguicula 'Weser' is one of my favorite Pinguicula. Several years ago I received my first one in a trade. Since then, using conventional propagation techniques and a minimum amount of time I have produced many hundreds of divisions which I have sold and traded widely. Undoubtedly if I had more space and spent just a little more time I could easily have propagated my original Pinguicula 'Weser' into an enourmous quantity of plants, it is very prolific and vigorous.

I don't remember ever losing one to any kind of pest or disease, they tolerate a wide range of growing conditions, and they bloom freely and are self-compatible easily producing seed which grow to produce F2 generation plants. These, of course, are not Pinguicula 'Weser' but just Pinguicula 'Weser' x self.

If anyone is not yet growing Pinguicula I would highly recommend Pinguicula 'Weser' as a very nice plant to begin a journey into the growing of Pinguicula or just to round out a Carnivorous Plant collection.

it´s really is nice plant! I have on too! but it is green form..........it make and made seeds....I dont know come those red forms?
smile.gif

The pink color I believe is due to good light intensity and long photoperiod (16+ hours), perhaps even ultraviolet exposure, since I use fluorescent lights.

So where would one find P. Weser?
Ive never seen it offered for sale but ive seen many pics and this is a must have for me.
Does anyone have any leaves theyd be interested in sharing im more than willing to compensate for any costs incurred.

Peace
biggrin.gif

I have seeds! do you want some?
wink.gif

Growing Pinguicula from seed is very nice, but don't forget, Pinguicula 'Weser' is a cultivar and cannot be propagated from seed. Plants grown from seed produced by self pollinating Pinguicula 'Weser' flowers will produce an F2 generation of segregating individuals.

I know that!
wink.gif
do that plant which born from those seed look mother or father? (P. moranensis and P. elhersae)
smile.gif

Ones I have grown so far of these have all grown to appear mostly like Pinguicula 'Weser' but some with more characteristics of Pinguicula ehlersiae.

Yes so I need leaves or a plant not seeds.
Thank you though for the generous offer weser!
smile.gif

PMan is this true with all of Pinguicula?
Ive heard this before but have yet to read about it in any literature. I still need to buy some books, Ive been doing all my research online as im quite poor at the moment
confused.gif

Any recommendations though? I know Im already planing on picking up the Savage Garden, but i was thinking of something a little more specific as well.

Peace
biggrin.gif

Yes, nearly all hybrids, and all Pinguicula hybrids as I understand it are heterozygous and not homozygous. Which means, if I am not mistaken; heterozygous: alleles are not paired up in genes the same; while homozygous: alleles are paired up in genes the same.

Khai, sometime ago, Pinguiculaman sent me a small clump of wesser, and they are doing well. You can PM me; I have an extra about 1 half inch across that I could part with.

PinguiculaMan,

So in your experience, do you find it more vigorous than other Pinguicula's? What conditions yields the best results (i.e. lighting, temp, etc.)?

I've been looking for Pinguicula's but haven't been able to decide on one specifically. This may be the one???
smile.gif

Yes, CCHANG in my collection of Pinguicula, Pinguicula 'Weser' is my most vigorous, most easily propagated and most flowering of all the Pinguicula I grow.

Culture: I keep them very close to multiple fluorescent lights with nothing between the plants and lights except air. I keep the lights on between 16 and 20 hours per day. The temperature ranges from a high of approximately 85F to a low of 60F. The lower temperatures only occurr in the Winter time. I use the same media I would use for Sarracenia, 100% peat moss or long fiber sphagnum. I keep the media wet nearly 100% of the time. I spritz the foliage frequently with a complete fertilizer solution w/trace elements at a concentration of about 40-60ppm. I aspire to eliminate all non-sphagnum moss growth, by pre-sterilization or removal.

When I transplant I frequently remove many of the older leaves off of the plants at the same time, Then I use them to produce even more of these prolific like rabbits, Pinguicula 'Weser' I mean.

The paler/more green plants are growing with a polyethylene lid between them and the light source, reduces my watering chores (important for the lazy person I am).

See images below:
(Sorry that some of these are a little out of focus, taken too hastily.) All of these were produced from leaf cuttings at various times. All are divisions of one initial plant. There are yet many more not in these photos, as well as many that have been sold and traded as well. All from one small plant received about 5 or 6 years ago.

p_Weser_clump_sml.jpg

p_Weser_group1_sml.jpg

p_Weser_group2_sml.jpg

p_Weser_group3_sml.jpg

p_Weser_group4_sml.jpg

WOW PMan those are some beauts!
Oh and yes Im familiar with the terms heterozygous and  homozygous I just always get the two mixed up.
tounge.gif

Thank you much for the over view!
That is very helpful.
Just out of curiosity what is the total wattage in light for each of your shelves, on average?

Peace
biggrin.gif

Most shelves have 160 watts or 4 - 40 watt fluorescent tubes. 2 shelves have 240 watts or 6 - 40 watt fluorescent tubes. One top shelf has 320 watts or 8 - 40 watt fluorescent tubes.

Thank you much!
Im in the process of planning a basement conversion.
And Im always interested in hearing about others' growing practices.
And always interested in lights, Watts UP!

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back