What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my ping a whimp?

Hey, what is going on?  

wow.gif
 This morning I seen a small ant walked across the leaves of my Ping.

Is it still sleeping or is it because it is growing?  
sad.gif
 am I doing something wrong?

Do anyone have photos of their Ping at work?  I would really like to see.

Any ideals out there?

In my experience Pings only seem to do well with real weak insects. Mine only seem adept at catching gnats and the occasional springtail

And whiteflies, don't forget those vermin who are resistant to everything man can make, but not what God made! Even the little Pings eat them like M&Ms.

Hi aplantlover!

Welcome to the forums! Some pings go into dormancy, so yours may have two types of leaves. The wintering kind is smaller and fuzzy. The carnivorous kind is larger and has dew on it. Here are two pics of the same plant.

agnata.jpg

dormant ping.

agnata2.jpg

ready for a snack ping.

As Pyro and Tim said, even the carnivorous kind may not be able to handle something as strong as an ant. Depends on what kind you have and how large it is. Do you know what kind you have? If you give us a good description we can help you out more. Also if you can give us a location...there's different weather in different countries so yours may be dormant right now.

Oh,  that makes much more sense to me now.  I have not read much on the Ping but will because the Mex Ping - it looks good.

Now, what about fruit flies? No one mention fruit flies.  

mad.gif
 As for the ant - do you think that it will survie again if it try walk across it next month?

If you get a big one, like the P. moranensis, the ant will get munched, I'm sure. I used to have lots of ants in my greenhouse, but my Neps had these cravings...........

Hey Tim,

Can you send a photo of a P. moranensis, and maybe some of your other CP too please.

106-0607_IMG.JPG

That's the P. moranensis

COOL PICCIES! Your plant isn't a 'Wimp' - My VFT can't detect ants either - Whick is really annoying! The ant is so quick by the time the trap shuts the ant is gone! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!
mad.gif

Now, I am new at this so don't get upset with me.

Can I pluck the dead ants (once it start catching them) and gnats off the leave after they dry up? Or would it just be safer to leave it alone?

What is the URL for the CPUK?

TY

Back