What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selfing mexican ping sp.

Has anyone produced viable seeds by selfing mexican ping species? Does anyone know if P.sharpii is able to self seed? This one resembles P.lusitanica found in Europe.

Personally, I have tried selfing gypsicola and cyclosecta with no luck.

I had seeds from selfing of the following species this year :

Pinguicula heterophylla
Pinguicula debbertiana
Pinguicula potosiensis

Of the Mexican Pings, so far I have obtained viable seed by selfing: P. gigantea and P. moranensis x ehlersiae

Hi Eric,

Were the seeds viable?

Hi Joseph,

I will have to try this with my gigantea once it makes another flower.

Hi,
off topic, sorry
I have a Pinguicula gigantea 'alba' X moctezumae and a Pinguicula moranensis 'Ayautla' about to flower at the same time, could I cross them and they will make viable seeds or is it like the Drosera genara that you can't cross a hybrid with others hybrid or species
regards Bjørn

You can cross them, but I am unsure if viable seeds will be produced. Sometimes it does not work.

I've tried a few complex crosses, like that which Bjorn is proposing, they have all been successful so far. For example, I noticed P. gigantea x (laueana x emarginata) sprouting today
smile.gif
(two of the same species in the mix). Give it a go.

I unintentionally selfed P. moctezumae once (it was supposed to be a hybrid with cyclosecta&#33
wink.gif
. The seed had high viability and grew into lots of healthy plants, which look just like their Mum!

Vic

I don't know yet if these seeds are viable or not. This is this year's seeds. All past seeds went to in-vitro in Australia and give birth to many new plants clearly identified.

Maybe only some sp. produce viable seeds when selfed. I will have to try it out.

Back