What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wholesale hardware horrors

Typical saturday...walking around the lawn and garden section of the mega-box harware store (being totally ignored by the way) and what do I find?  A flat of pings hidden underneath one of the display tables.  The pings look rough, ignored, reviled...maybe even spit upon
mad.gif

Anyway, I started to pass the whole sorry scene up, but chanced upon one lonely ping with a bright red flower!

My camera isn't working now, but I can describe it... small purplish leaves, red flower.  What is this?

I'm hoping that I can save it from the compost heap where I'm sure all its sisters will end up

Can anyone help with care suggestions?

Damon

Hey,
Well, the only ping with a red flower in the entire genus is P. Laueana. Its a mexican ping that likes highland conditions.
Kevin

Yep, laueana is the olny ping with a red flower. They are gorgeous! I have many of them here, all flowering at the same times. It is very easy to care for:

Repot it in a mix of peat/sand or peat/perlite (i don't really measure, roughly 50/50-I found pings can grow in a bunch of things). Roots are fairly shallow, as in other pings. I keep mine on the windowsill. Sit it on a saucer of water. I don't worry about my mexican pings going dormant. I never do anything different. Some will go turn into buds by themselves.

Back