What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please

A few days ago, I sprinkled several gemmae of P. grandiflora, plodinii, rosea,balcanaea, vallisii and fiorii on pure peat.

You folks have me all worried now, as I see this isn't the right media.

Could anyone who is successfully growing any of these plants please give me a simple soil mix that would satisfy these plants? Also, should they be sitting in water like the Mexican Pings?

Thank you much in advance, I'd hate to loose these 50 or so gemmae.

Tim

Now that I see them under magnification, I guess there's closer to 100.

pinggemmae.jpg

Hi Tim,

I am growing P. vallisneriifolia, resulting from seeds sown 3 years ago. Only few plantlets sprouted, but I haven't lost any of the 3 plants since then, and they are making some gemmae and offshots without problems.

I read the posts concerning the soil mix, and I am growing them into a 2/3 peat 1/3 sand mix, and my plants do not seem to be harmed so far. Perhaps they would be better in such mix...

But I don't know what is really better in your case since your plants are from gemmae (they have been grew in a different substrate, and perhaps need to be 'acclimated' to a new one). This was the advantage for me to grow them from seeds: only the plants who can survive to my conditions stayed alive: result? Less plants, but they were 'conditionned' to my growing conditions...

Personnally, I don't think your soil mix is 'deadly' to your plants in a short period. But perhaps others cper could answer on this, I'm not as knowledgeable as others, particulary on Pinguicula
tounge.gif

Good luck!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I read the posts concerning the soil mix, and I am growing them into a 2/3 peat 1/3 sand mix, and my plants do not seem to be harmed so far. Perhaps they would be better in such mix...
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, this is a great relief, and I thank you.

Perhaps I will continue watering with tap water which is basic around here, and that will lower the pH.

May I ask you what kind of water you have used on these Pings during these last 3 years?

Tim

There are two forms of Pinguicula in Europe. Those that grow naturally in acidic soil: alpina, balcanica, corsica, nevadensis, bohemica, vulgaris, vulgaris ssp. bicolor, grandiflora ssp. grandiflora, grandiflora ssp. chianopetra, crystallina, crystallina ssp. hirtiflora, and lusitanica.
Those that grow in calcareous soil: leptoceras, fiorii, dertosensis, mundi, poldinii, vallisneriifolia, grandiflora ssp. rosea and pallida, all longifolia var.
This information was from personal communication with growers from Europe. I have grown mexican Pings like gypsicola on a peat based mix and they grew very well. I bet most temperate Pings are tolerant of the soil mix.

Again, I thank you. If either Tom or you have no empirical objections, I will leave them on their pure peat media, and continue watering with basic tending tap water.

Best Regards

The mix I am using for grandiflora ssp. grandiflora(and other acidic loving sp.) is peat:perlite:sand 2:1:1. For calcareous types I use an inorganic mix of perlite:sand:vermiculite 1:2:1 or an additional two parts vermiculite to the acidic mix. I am not sure that pure peat is such a good idea for these plants. Better drainage would be appreciated. There is no need to use basic tap water. This might cause harm in the long run and you will likely notice a significant buildup of calcium on the soil surface(yellow crystals). I would stick with distilled, rain water etc.

vrieslik baie dankie.

Thanks much.

Tim

Back