What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botannical Wonders

T

theddy

I recently bought a butterwort from lowes from a company called botannical wonders. Anyone figure out what kind it is? Please respond if you have any idea.

I know what company it is from. For everyone out there this is where my mystery Nepenthes came from remember?!!! Yes, Lowe's has alot of this company's CP's. The Company is in Thurmond, NC and I have the fax # but have to look it up sometime in my files. I'll give it too you so ya can fax em. Also I ahve sen the butterwort in it's little domed pot and I belive it is P.Primulfloria.

describe it to us theddy
smile.gif

Noah

I got that same ping, and I guessed vulgaris. I'm a beginner, so dont lean to much on my theory! :O)
Anna

Definetly not vulgaris(even though 'vulgaris' means common in latin). P.vulgaris remains dormant almost half the year and are hard to grow. Too hard to keep alive. Most likely a primuliflora or moranensis...

P.Vulgaris hard to grow??? Even though it shares it's habitat with S.Purpurea spp. Purpurea which is easy to grow. I am a little confused.

Wow! I always thought Vulgaris was one of the most common and easiest! I also got one from Home Depot, and it was labeled Vulgaris. But the flower is such a lighter blue.
Anna
smile.gif

I have vulgaris seeds trying to germinate... Guess where I live... CANADA!!!!!!!!! RIGHT WHERE THEY GROW!

LOOK WHO IS LAUGHING NOW ALL OF YOU OUTDOOR NEPENTHES GROWERS!

j/k, hehehehe......

Vulgaris produces a deep violet flower. If it is light blue I would asume it to be either primuliflora or caerulea.

nepenthes gracilis,

P.vulgaris requires temperatures below 25C, high humidity and wet soils. They are very sensitive plants and will die easily when the humidity drops or the temperature gets above the 80F mark. When they go dormant in the winter they are best refidgerated in warmer climates. They require about a half year dormancy period, which is one of the many reasons why most commercial nurseries that sell plants to home improvement stores do not offer these. I have heard that the cultivation of this plants is not possible or at least extremely difficult in terrariums.

If you live in the far North than these can be cultivated outdoors year-round without too much difficulty. It is very difficult to cultivate this plant if you live somewhere like Texas or CA... where temperatures can be very hot over the spring/summer.

Summers here in canada have been getting warmer and dryer I think.... end of july/august its been wetter, but for the most part its kinda dry... How low can the temperatures grow? What if their roots freeze into a massive block of ice?

By winter they would have already formed dormant buds so if the roots freeze solid the plant is not harmed. P.vulgaris is one of the most cold hardy cps out there. It can tolerate temperatures well below freezing. In its natural habitat around the world P.vulgaris is often buried under several feet of snow in the winter.

Back