What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moranensis

Okay, so I probubly could have gotten one cheaper on line or in a trade, but it was just so cute.  I couldn't leave it their to be abused by a small child!  Okay, so I'm trying to justify impulsivly buying a CP I know nothing about.

Anyhow,  I've done some reaserch and learned ... nothing!  When I saw it I knew it was some sort of Mexican Ping, I didn't know it was "The" Mexican Butterwort.  But thats cool.  Other then the common name and the fact that this plant is going to be bigger then I thought, I haven't found much info.  Just a lot of pictures.  It looks to be quite happy, sticky and fruit fly coverd and is 4 inches accross right now.  It's also got a sort of coppery glow around the edges which is real nice.  And it set a record to ketching an insect only 1 hour after I got it home.

So, any growing tips on this proticular Ping?  Or am I good just setting it in a window and keeping it well waterd?

Oh, and their is this, uh thing on it.  A super thin staulk with a swollen brown end.  I'm thinking seed pod here, but I've never seen a Ping seed pod and for all I know it could belong to another type of CP that droped it in the center of this plant. (the stalk it thred thing, the brown egg shaped bit is around .5cm long)  Thanks all
smile.gif

Oh wow, this website is awsome, thanks!

Okay, I went to the site, but it mostly just has general Mexican Ping info, nothing real specific. I'd really like to hear from people how they grow theirs because I've found a couple of sorces now and they all conflict with each other. Also, I think my plant may be a Pinguicula moranensis 'Kirkbright', it's got the coppery look and the pointed leaves.

Hi Darcie,

Have you tried asking the place you got the plant form? If this is the plant you got from the local botanical gardens would that be Meijer Garden's? If so, the plants they sell in the gift shop are from tissue culture. The currator of the CP exhibit can probably tell you where it is from.
smile.gif

Darcie,

Eric's basic of Mexi-Ping cultivation is really all you need. I grow all (50 of) mine in just about the same way as Eric has listed. I also think that each species on his site has a full page devoted to it with more concise information.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Glenn @ May 29 2003,10:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Darcie,

Have you tried asking the place you got the plant form?  If this is the plant you got from the local botanical gardens would that be Meijer Garden's?  If so, the plants they sell in the gift shop are from tissue culture.  The currator of the CP exhibit can probably tell you where it is from.
smile.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yup, that's the one, except this one isn't one of the big componey plants.  Most of their plants are, but you can tell the locally grown ones because they are really well established in their pots, they don't have any typed lableing only hand written pencil (which is always the same hand writeing) and no shipping protection/anti kid pokeing gear, and oviously never did. I've seen VFT, Neps, Pings and Sundew their from big componies.  I've only seen 1 Sundew, some Butterworts and 3 Neps from what I was told was the CP guys collection extras and cuttings and such.

Anyhow, I have no idea how to contact the guy anyways.  I'll know for sure what it is once it flowers
smile.gif

Your description of "seed pod" sounds like possibly an aborted flower bud.

Yup yup! Thats what it is, I checked it over. Although, I havent the faintess idea of why it would have aborted, the thing is so healthy looking.

Back