What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flower growing from plant..

my butterwort from Lowes is sending out a flower shoot, will the plant die off if i let it flower? thanks

I've never set foot in a Lowe's (we don't have them in the UK), so I can't speak from experience, but most of the Pings that people discuss on this Forum from there are P. primuliflora. This is a fairly easy Ping from SE USA, which likes to be grown in very wet conditions. The flowers, like most Pings, are beautiful and I can't see any point in growing them if you don't let them flower. See what I mean;

P. primuliflora

Prim1.jpg

It's very unlikely that your Ping will flower itself to death, this can occasionally happen with some Pings when grown under poor conditions, but its quite rare. I've never had this happen with P. primuliflora, but this species can be fairly short-lived and rot and die with alarming speed. The best insurance against losing this species is to keep propagating it, which is very easy, as it forms plantlets on the ends of its leaves, which can be detached when they have formed there own roots and planted. My only concern would be that if your plant is this species (best to let it flower to be sure of its I.D.), then it is flowering at the wrong time of year. In the wild and with my plants in cultivation, they flower from February to April. Your plant could be flowering now because of the nursery conditions it has been reared in and will probably settle down, in sync with the seasons.

Then again, it could be a different species altogether and you can ignore most of the above, let it flower!

Vic

THANKS i will let it flower then- it has a handful of babies growing
smile.gif

Back