What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Mexi-Pings

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
Another grower and I have been chatting a bit and a question has come up that neither of us has the answer for. We have both found that when the photoperiod is increased in summer (whether by changing a timer or moving plants outside) that many of our Mexi-Pings form their succulent rosettes. Dose anyone else find this to be the case too? We are thinking that maybe the general convention to grow them wet in the summer and dry in the winter might be a little inaccurate and that maybe these plants are evolved to grow in cooler, wetter winters and go succulent during hot dry summers. Of course neither myself or this other grower have been to the areas in Mexico where the plants grow so this is nothing more than speculation.

I was always under the impression that summers in the parts of Mexico, where most Pings grow, are warm and wet, and winters dry and cooler. This map showing the climate (mean temps and precipitation0 at Pachuca on Eric Patrats site shows graphically what I mean http://perso.club-internet.fr/epbb....uca.gif. So that the wettest weather coincides with the longest days.

None of my mexicans have ever gone into succulent growth in summer, yet they all do (those that are meant to anyway) as winter approaches. All my Pings are grown under natural light, with several hours of direct sun each day (on the days that the sun shines in the UK anyway).

Vic

I have a P. heterophylla that was growing strong under my HID at a 12 hour photocycle, I moved it outside and it abruptly began to produce greatly reduced leaves and appeared to be entering dormancy. I have a gypsicola that did something similar and is now growing carnivorous foliage after moving it back inside under the HID. P. 1714 and 1715 are both going to succulent phase after being outside for about a month. I also have a P. 'George Sargent' that has been dormant for almost 2 years and a laueana that has been dormant for a year.

Back