What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a ping pic

PlantAKiss

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, Engl
Well, this isn't anything like Leo Song's P. 'Titan', but its my largest ping so far.  Its a good 4 inches or so across (actually one plant that split into three) with a nice reddish/pink.  Its in bud...flower soon to open I hope.  
smile.gif
 When the sun hits it, it just sparkles like there's a ground-diamond coating.  Unfortunately I can't get a good sun pic (at least not so far).

morcaudata11-03DRS.jpg

P. moranensis 'Caudata' in bud

morcaudata11-03CRS.jpg

Suzanne

Wow! That's a beautiful Ping, Suzanne! The color is amazing!

Capslock <-- putting this on his "want list"!

Nice ping! But i have one question about it: do Pinguicula moranensis var caudata have some variation in flower color? I received a plant labeled like this at the beginning of summer, and the flower is pink... Any idea on this?

Hey,
That is a lovely pinguicula, it is one or me to get! Thanks for sharing,
Kevin

Thanks for the pictures, Suzanne.

Tom,

Your plant may be a hybrid. I have a clone that has been passed around a bit of a plant that is a hybrid between P. moranrnsis var. caudata and some other common Pinguicula; someone said elhersae. The distributing party didn’t bother with labeling the plants before dispensing them, and quite a few of the recipients are/were not aware of the plants’ hybrid status.
The plants look very nice and send out multitudes of light purple or dark pink flowerers. If you’d like to compare your plant with mine I’d be glad to send some pictures.

Please clearly label your plants!

-Forbes

Nice job growing that one. Keep up the good work.

biggrin.gif

I'm afraid there are already many Pings out there in horticulture land that may go begging absolute identification until we can get them all genetically mapped ---- so, since they are so lovely and enjoyable to grow, and doing the tough work can be extremely costly (genetic work), we should, whenever in doubt, at least add a ? to the label, yet retaining as much data about the plants origins as we can.

Thanks everyone.  I'm real pleased with this one.  Its a beauty!  
smile.gif

One reason I wanted to post that pic is...like many who first start into CPs, I thought the pings to be a little dull.  I had a couple but they were just "representatives" for the butterwort world.  But more and more the little buggers have grown on me.  I like their lush, fleshy, succulent look and the flowes are beautiful.  And there are some stunning forms too.  So I have come to appreciate the genus more and look forward to expanding my collection.  (I have to say droserae will always be my main love, BUT them pings are pretty cool!)
Just wait 'til my cyclosecta grows!  That's a beauty.

Pings don't get the attention or following they deserve.  I really want people to know...take another look at the pings.  You might be passing up some really interesting, beautiful plants if you don't give them a chance.

And for all of you who like being able to say "Mine is 10 inches!"....err, meaning pitchers ya know...you can do that with pings too!  
tounge.gif

laugh.gif
 Mine is 4+ inches...and growing.  
smile.gif

Joseph, coming from you, thats quite a compliment...thanks!  I hope to do as well by my new plants.  So far, they aren't croakin'!

BTW...the flower on this ping was opening yesterday so I hope to get a pic of it...I'm wondering if it will be as dark blue as the bud looks.

Suzanne

It looks like I gave this one a very good home! Nice work!

Well, I think its more the plant itself than me, but it has grown. I think it was about silver dollar size when you gave it to me. I LIKE it! It has two more flower scapes on the way.

Back