What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural habitats in Taiwan and China

Hi there!

I´ll spend March and April 2004 in Taiwan and China (province Guangdong) and I´ll surely have plenty of time to check out carnivorous plants in the wild (preferably Nepenthes, but I´d also be happy about seeing a nice Drosera or Ping). Anyway - there´s a "minor" problem: I don´t know where to start looking...

Could anybody give me [exact] locations of natural habitats there?

Thanks in advance!

This post in the ICPS List Archives might help;

Any Pinguicula in Southern China?.

Looks like ther is just P. alpina and you will have to search the Himalayas for that. It's much easier to go to Switzerland or Austria and use a ski lift!
biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

Vic

Austria? Hey - that´s just across the border
tounge.gif

I´m starting to wonder if there really are no carnivorous plants in that area or if we just don´t know, due to insufficient documentation or whatsoever.

Thanks a bundle.

Stefan

Stefan,

I didn't realise you lived in Munich, until I checked your profile. You don't even have to leave Germany to see P. alpina, it grows in the nearby Bavarian Alps.

I think there are Chinese Utric's, like U. warburgii, but I don't know where to look. The closest I've been to China is China Town in London!

Vic

Hi Vic,

well, I´m not going there just to check out plants.  I was just interested if there´s a slight chance I might be able to find some while hiking on my free days...

Anyway, I´ve just found a Taiwanese forum on carnivorous plants and posted my question there. Let´s see what´ll happen...

Best,
Stefan

Back