What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping growing conditions?

Hi all, I need some advice on my pings. I noticed a discusion about coral Ping media. I have some (3) poldinii seedlings that are quite small and don't seem to want to grow! They are in a peat perlite sand dolomite mix. They are under 50% shade-cloth under some shade from trees, and get lightly misted every day for a couple of minutes. Temp is about 20c at the moment but has been cooler for the last month. How do I get these guys to grow?

If these were your plants what would you do?!

George

Hi George,

I haven't had the chance to grow this sp., but I have grown some of the other temperate sp. High humidity and cool temperatures(day and night) are best for these plants. Check out: A World of Pinguicula

Thanks CP2k, I have had a look at this site "several" times. The problem is that I need to know what to do now, I can't repot them as they are only about 3mm! I can controll the pH and mineral content of the water I use on them though.

What do you think is the best temp range?

How much light should they get?? I can give them everything from cool heavy shade to burn the retinas out of you eyeballs... What kind of watering do they want, once again I can provde almose any situation, just which one is best, tray, overhead etc...

George

I would recommend cool temperatures(10-25C). I've had some temperate pings form dormant buds when temperatures hit 30'sC. The tray method works fine for me. I usually wait a day before refilling. I grow my temperate pings in lightly filtered morning sun for around 1-2hr and indirect light the rest of the day. I would provide more light, but the temperatures would be too high.

Thanks for that. I have moved the plants into the sun for the moment to try to hurry them along. I will have to work out what to do as it will be well above 30c soon as summer aproaches. I am thinking about setting up an evaporative cooler.

George

Back