What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula lutea

Joseph Clemens

Staff member
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>I have several different size variations of Pinguicula lutea. I have a smaller type that hales from Hampstead, North Carolina, USA and another of unknown location detail. The unknown is the larger. The plant nearly fills a 6 inch (15 cm) diameter pot, the flower stalk can grow more than 12 inches (30 cm) high, and the flower is a rich dark yellow and presents facing the horizon and is 3-4 times larger than the Hempstead flower. The Hampstead plants rosettes are only about 3 inches (7.5 cm) in diameter and the flower stalk is only about 5-6 inches (12.5-15 cm) high. The flowers present facing up, are thin petaled and pale compared to the unknown larger plants flowers. Perhaps this is a factor of autopolyploidy, but I have never done a chromosome count to verify. They each had a solitary fall flower happen simultaneously and I was able to transfer pollen from each to the other and seed pods are developing. Earlier I was able to self the larger variety and have seedlings growing from those now. This is the Hampstead plants first flower. I am excited to see how these do in the long term.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this with any of their Pinguicula?

Here is a picture of a flower from the larger type:

cv_mellow_yellow_a_small.jpg

and here is a link to more images of the same larger plant:

Photogallery of Pinguicula lutea

Edit: Correction of Hempstead to Hampstead</span>

Great photos- lovely flowers
smile.gif

I have never got this species to last long enough to produce any flowers
rock.gif

Any tips as to growing it? Is it an annual as I have read?

cheers

bill

Where did you read that this species is an annual? This sp. can live for many years under the right conditions.

Gorgeous photo and plant Joseph (as usual!).
smile.gif
Sadly, my lutea finally succumbed very recently. I had it for about 2-3 years. I've heard they are tricky to keep on the long term but maybe it depends on the grower. I only had one flower at a time so I couldn't try pollinating it.

Actually, you can self lutea flowers and produce viable seeds.

I want to correct your location data. It's not Hempstead, it's Hampstead.
wink.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Thanks Ozzy,

That's what I get for trying to read my own writing.
sad.gif
</span>

No Problem. I'm glad to help.

hmmm, that is interesting. Let us know what you find if you have get a chance to do a chromosome squash.

Back