What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pings forming clumps

I recently posted a topic regarding my clumping moranensis, and just the other day I noticed that my ionantha is starting to clump as well.  This is good, and I am happy with the surprise.  

My question: Is this an autumn phenomenon?  I ask this because they both seem to have started forming clumps during this time when the light is being reduced and temperatures chillier at night ( mid to lower 60's ) not to mention drier conditions for the mexican ping.

thanks,
Homer

Even though I know not much about pings, I almost am 100% sure that, yes your plants are going into "bud" for the winter.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]yes your plants are going into "bud" for the winter.

The moranensis will eventually bud, yes, but the leaves are currently not of the succulent type.  The ionantha is a sub-tropical ping that does not bud to my knowledge.  I was just wondering if my pings might be clumping due to shorter photoperiods, etc.

Speaking also about south-east US Pinguicula, I have also noted on two species (I should say two clones, P. ionantha and P. caerulea) clumping also in automn. From 1 sigle plant, I had 12 ! BUT it was from in-vitro origin so maybe the plants keep a long time their tendency to reproduce this way before they "wash" all the hormons added by the grower.

I have never noted this on naturaly seeds raised plants

While I have no experience with any of the U.S. species I tend to find that the majority of Mexi-Pings will clump/divide after flowering. In fact I think the only plant I have had divide that did not flower was Yucca Do 1713. It has never been season specific with me.

Here is a picture in wild of P. moranensis var neovolcanica showing also a huge clump...

Iztla4(LR).jpg

Thanks. I might add that my moranensis has not flowered, ever. I bought it in early 2000. This fall is the first time it decided to clump.
wink.gif

Can't really relate it to season myself. Many of my plants do that, split their primary meristem and form branches (clump) whenever they grow to a fairly mature size (8-10" diameter for some and 1/4" diameter for others), though none of my plants has ever experienced any seasonal changes at all while in my care.

Thanks. I've just noticed today that my moranensis has now split into 4 branches
smile.gif
Now if I can only get it to flower... anyway, its been in my new terrarium with the pygmies for a few weeks now. I'm checking to see if a photoperiod range of 15 hour in summer to a low of 9 in winter might trigger seasonal changes better than the 16 hrs in summer 12 hrs in winter tropical terrarium I have.

Back