What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping pic!

Hi,

I'm not much into pings, but I have a few. I put them all in the same pot a couple months ago. Who do you think is going to win the battle for territory? From left to right are P. laueana "purple", P. primuliflora (flowering), and P. esseriana. My fave is the P. laueana:

Pings.JPG

Capslock

I think the P. primuliflora is going to win, that's my guess.  I just found an extra undrained container that I'm gonna use form my P. ionantha seeds.  I hand fertilized a flower and the petals fell off a few days afterward.  I'm assuming it was successful  
wink.gif

-Homer

Those are cool looking pings! thanx for posting that pic. There seems to be lots of room in there. If any of those pings self pollinate, then that one may dominate if you get seed and they sprout and the plants end up in that pot. The primuliflora's plantlets could take some space over time, too.

Thats quite an artic display of pings , i need to try something like that with my extra bonsai pots but i'd need more pings , i'm guessing the primuliflora would win becaulse it buds alot on the leaves .

Very nice Capslock! Like many, I used to somewhat ignore the pings...only had a few. But they have grown on me and now I am in a ping expansion mode. They really are quite lovely plants and have such beautiful flowers. Most of my new ones are small right now but hopefully in the summer I will start getting some growth. Well...the pings, not me! I think at my age I can stop hoping to get any taller.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pic. You might find yourself wanting more pings in the future.
smile.gif

Say, thats a nice looking ampullaria pitcher in the background!
wow.gif
and isnt that your sun-pitcher pot next to it with the cranberry thing?

It sure is, droseradude!
laugh.gif
You can see the cranberry thing in the top corner of the photo. I've left it in with the sun pitcher just to see what it does. It's getting a little bigger, but not much. I tend to leave things like that in my plants unless it looks like they're going to take over. So I have various ferns and stuff growing in various plants.

On the pings, my P. primulaflora main plant spawned the smaller ones off it's leaf tips. It seemed to do this all at once, and then it sort of went into decline. But now it's flowering, so who Knows? There's a second flower coming, too, but it's hard to see in the photo.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P. primulaflora main plant spawned the smaller ones off it's leaf tips. It seemed to do this all at once, and then it sort of went into decline

Hmmmm.... mine did a similar thing.  I thought it was something I did (probably still was).  Oh well, at least I still have the two plantlets.

SF

Another question. Is that Utric leaves poking up out of the right side of the pot? Nice moss too!

SF

Yes, those are utrics. They may be the ones to win the territory battle! I believe they are U. bisquamata (spelling?), but I'm not sure. They came with the P. esseriana.

The moss is spreading nicely. I transplanted these into the bonsai pot by just putting the whole cube of peat in, or at least the top section so it was the right height. For a while, there were distinct moss squares on the top, but it's starting to spread out.

Capslock

I got my U. bisquamata for free as well - came with one of my pygmy sundews of all plants!  
smile.gif
  My D. binata T-form was also a kind suprise.  Just wanted to share that little bit of information.  It's almost as fun seeing what you get along with the plant you ordered as the plant itself...

-Homer

Back