What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P.vulgaris questions

Hi I live in Iowa and want to have a bog garden out on our deck and was wondering how easy P.vulgaris are to raise.I checked the ICPS seed bank and they saythe seeds they offer are for ping experts only. I'm new to this and was wondering about getting them if they are a hard species to work with.I am basically setting the bog up for cold terperate species like S.purpurea ssp purpurea and D.intermedia and possibly D.rotundifolia.
Mark W.

Hey,
I have mine outside all year long, in Washington State, where they grow naturely in the Cascade Mountains. So I'm lucky, but I believe that they mean expert because they like it cold, really cold in the winter.
So, yes, you can grow it outside, if kept cold. I notice that you also have other temperate plants in the mix, so all will go well. When flowering, the purple flowers will make a nice youch to any bog garden.
You can also try P. macroceras, and add a cobra lily. Remember to take pics! Good luck on this project.
Kevin

I think your main promlems with growing this species will not be related to your winter temperatures, the hiburnaculae (winter restingf buds) should could just fine on your deck.

Rather, the summer temperatures in Iowa might be much higher than they experience in nature (they are upland plants), make sure to keep them shaded from direct sun in the heat of summer and keep them fairly wet then too.

Good luck

Vic

I've been searching for P. vulgaris for a long time. It's supposed to be a native of my area, but hasn't been seen in a long time, I bet sure there is an isolated colony somehwere around here. But does anyone know a place to get them?

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.I recently joined the ICPS and am waiting on word that they have recieved my money order so I can order seeds from them.
Mark W.

They sell P. vulgaris at the Fredrick Meijer Gardens which people are meeting at January 31
smile.gif
I don't know why it would be considard hard, the things name means "Common" or "Weed" The things grow everyware!

Darcie,

Actually like all plants they grow in specific niches which may or may not be present in any given area. This one is best seen as an alpine with a taste for lime. I think the "common" reference is to its widespread distribution in suitable climate, but the keyword here is suitable.

Dustin,

I made P. vulgaris a subject of intensive searching back in the 70's. Everything I came up with points that the genus is extinct in our range: the last recorded instance of P. vulgaris was in 1922. I have poked about all over the state looking for it. I think it used to be found in Syracuse, around Green Lake but intensive field searching has brought no joy. Too bad, I have always wanted to see a Ping in habitat.

Hey,
When I was in southern Vermont, I found a couple pinguiculas, I assumed they were vulgaris, from the shape of the leaves. I had no camera with me when I found them growing next to a small stream that led to a lake. So, there may be P. vulgaris, or some alpine ping growing up there.
Kevin

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Jan. 03 2004,14:54)]They sell P. vulgaris at the Fredrick Meijer Gardens which people are meeting at January 31
smile.gif
 I don't know why it would be considard hard, the things name means "Common" or "Weed"  The things grow everyware!
Hey Darcie,

I only have two species of pings that I sell in the FMG garden shop, and both are for tissue culture. P. primulaflora and P. moranensis. No vulgaris, sorry.

We do have vulgaris in the collection, but its dormant right now
sad.gif

Steve L

Back