What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. moranensis

It hates me.  I don't know why, but it hates me.  The leaves keep rotting near the base and then up the petiol one at a time from the outer most leaf on in.  I have new growth, but at this rate it won't be able to keep up with it'self.  I don't know what to do with this thing.  It hates everything I do
sad.gif

... on the bright side, the new leaves are greasy again  
rock.gif

Possibly you're environment is too moist? Just a guess...
I grow my P.ehlersiae by tray and let the water dry out before filling the tray again.
smile.gif

Too wet... I was told last month is was too dry... LOL, I am having a very slow learning curve for this species... I new I should have gotten the P. vulgaris.

My moranesis uproots itself every fall, and then I have to transplant it.  I think that's common in this species from what I read.  It's annoying nonetheless.

What soil mix are you using?  Maybe if you have a top layer of sand it would prevent rotting  
rock.gif

good luck,

Homer

My moranensis plants do not uproot themselves, unless they are kept too wet. Remember that these plants do not come from bogs.

My x wesser uprooted itself this fall. hmm I guess I used too much peat in my mix..

The way I deal with watering my pings is to put them in a more absorbent medium - peat/sand. Darcie - I think your pics showed mostly perlite? That way when my watering tray dries out (which I ignore for two days) the pings stay damp but not too waterlogged.

Most of my plants are in peat and perlight, but not my ping, it's in some real fancey stuff it came with, lol, I'm not even sure what that rock is called but it's the stuff they grow in in the wild by the looks of it. I'm hoping it will respond faverably to my new grow lights. If not, I'll probubly start looking for a new one soon :p hopefully of a less excentric varient (haven't found a varient picture that maches it yet)... You know, it does look a little odd around the base, like it is trying to crawl out of it's pot. Maybe it is uprooting it'self :p

I made a mistake when I got it, it was the only one not flowering so it was also the only one left when I got to the shop so I should have know it wasn't the hardest of the plants. I'm not going to give up on it though, and I've pealed off the leaves with signs of rot and replanted them so maybe I'll get clones at the very least... or, if it still is going down hill by the end of the month, I'll bring it to the gardens when the club meets and see if someone with more ping experience can do anything for it.

...*sigh* first the flytrap, now a ping. Why do my new plants have so many issues. Sure, I'm new to pings and all, but to have a flytrap dieing on me is just pathedic... granted being thrown into the garbage by mom didn't help it, but still...

Good signs. I let the plant get dry this week and it already seems healthier
biggrin.gif
perhaps it shall recover shortly!

Back