What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

p. primuliflora

does this ping require dormancy? I consulted the savage garden, but I cannot make it out. It is called a warm temperate, and right below it it says that this plant doesn't require dormancy. But later in the same chapter, it says that it does. Maybe I read it wrong ten times, but anyone that knows could really help me out.

This plant can be grown year-round.

There seems to be much conflicting information about this plant in particular and others that are indigenous to warm climates that don't have a winter. From what I have read, they ARE year round plants thet do NOT require a dormancy period. Again, according to what I have read, they DO slow down. Since they primarily come from around the Florida Panhandle, they DO experince non-summer like temps, but nothing like a let's say, a Buffalo winter.

They do have a slow down and rest type of dormancy. I note that when the flowering ends with the onset of short days, the plants stop growing, and older leaves begin to deteriorate. The change is subtle but evident. I try to keep my plants cooler, and maintain the plant in terresterial vs aquatic conditions in the interm until I notice new flower buds emerging, then return the plant to warmth and nearly aquatic culture. I have had the plants growing well for 3 years now.

my two pings are in the regular terrarium with about 65 degree days and 55 degree nights, or there abouts. The reason I asked is that my larger is flowering for the second time in four months...

Maybe I'm doing things differently to most folk in the US growing this species, I grow my plants in natural light (and consequentially natural photoperiod) and they are kept cool in winter (min. temp. 8C or 45F).

My plants always start flowering in late winter, I've just noticed the first flower bud developing today (I checked because of this topic). Flowering usually continues through until about the beginning of May and then they don't flower again until the following year. Donald Schnell in 'Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada, Second Edition' (2002) gives the flowering period for this species as 'February to April' so I'm quite pleased with the way my plants behave, I figure that if they are in sync with those in nature they are probably pretty happy. Does summer flowering only occur with plants grown under lights?

Vic

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Vic Brown @ Jan. 12 2004,07:48)]... Does summer flowering only occur with plants grown under lights?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Vic,
For me, that was how it was. When I grew under natural light I had a similar experience to you and Tamlin.

I also find that their "dormancy" is more like that of a VFT than a hybernacula forming species like a Pinguicula vulgaris or a Drosera rotundifolia. Growth slows or stops, but not all leaves or roots die away to a dormant bud. In fact, they do not form a dormant bud.</span>

Is the new version of cps of the us and canada better then the 70`s version?

Back