What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victor's Victory

Not it's true name, I still name it this in honor of the man who produced this remarkably beautiful plant which is the favorite in my collection. Vic Brown, you have brought forth a real beauty!

Pinguicula_laueana_x_emarginata_Victor_Brown_010704.sized.jpg

WOW! Now THAT is an awsome ping!

Beautiful! Wow! It's an amazing ping Tamlin.

BCK

wow, that is a really beautifull Ping! nice job Mr. B.
cool.gif

regards Bjørn

Thanks for the kind words Tamlin and all. They certainly look healthy under your growing conditions.

It is a nice little hybrid with nice deep purple, veined flowers too, which look velvety when the light is at the right angle.

I must get some high definition photographs taken of this one and get around to registering it as a cultivar.

CP2xemarginata.jpg

Vic

Did I miss something?? What are the parents of this hybrid? I think I can definitely see P.emarginata in there, but what is the other parent? P.moranensis? P.zecheri?

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

The seed parent is a crimson-purple clone of P. laueana, known as CP2 and the pollen donor is a heavily veined P. emarginata.

Mom, P. laueana 'CP2'

PC1.jpg

Vic

Vic,

So your are going to register this one at last? YAY! You can use my name if you like, lol!

Which name?

Pinguicula 'Dawnstar', P. 'Tamlin' or P. 'William' ??
biggrin.gif

Vic

Why Victor's Victory you goose, what else? Of course if you want to immortalize me, feel free. Frankly, I believe you deserve the honor, hee hee. I am reluctant to distribute this knockout beauty unregistered for fear of driving other's like Fernando crazy in years to come. Once this starts getting about, everyone is going to have to have it: it is simply the most beautiful hybrid I have ever seen!

The last cultivar I submitted was accepted by the CPN for publication. It took all of 5 mins. (!) to write a short description and submit the photo. The CPN takes about a year from article submission to publication, so don't keep the world waiting too long. Once you give it a name, even in potential, I will begin to send these gems out to others under that name.

Vic, please register it!! Its a beauty! (And beautiful plant and photo, Mr. Dawnstar.
smile.gif
)

OK...I want it! You must get it registered and into production so folks like me can get one. Its just lovely! Like Tamlin said, better to register, then distribute so it has an identifying name to go with with it.

I kinda like 'Victor/Victoria'...a tribute to its creator plus a feminine name for its stunning beauty.

Thanks for the pics.
smile.gif

I'm with Suzanne, Vic. Hurry and register it so I can start pestering Tamlin for it
laugh.gif
. It's too pretty to let it go by the wayside for lack of a proper name.

smile.gif

BCK

Vic,

I am at an utter loss for words. In all honesty all I can come up with is "Wow". I extend my deepest respect and thanks for this creation.

Now THAT is a true work of art. Unbeleiveable. Vic, you are the master.

Thanks for the kind words, I've been quite busy recently, mainly getting plants ready for Chelsea flower show, where I provide the mexican Pings for the UK based CPS, so haven't visited Terra Forums much recently. If you like my P. laueana x emarginata, what do you all think of this one?

Pinguicula potosiensis x moctezumae Vic's Cross

potmoc1a.jpg

Like all crosses with P. moctezumae, such as P. 'Aphrodite', the foliage is long and strap-shaped in summer. My cross has very large flowers, about 1 1/2 inches tall, which have inherited the wavy edge, from the seed parent P. potosiensis. I've grown about ten of this cross to flowering size and this clone is by far the most vigorous, free-flowering and beautiful. In my view a better candidate for my first cultivar. At the moment this plant is on show at Chelsea Flower Show in London, where it has received many favourable comments.

Vic

Wow, amazing pics dude. How'd you cross them? Usual cross pollination I suppose...noooo by the time I'm a professional (which I can even visualise right now), there'll be no more cps to, uhm, hybridize.
biggrin.gif
Or maybe I can make a hybrid of a hybrid, or something like that...
smile_l_32.gif

Wow, purple pings are really cool, but I also like green, seems more 'plantlike'...
biggrin.gif

My God! Good thing the flowers are in different directions, or the pot would topple over! Outstanding, Man!!
Maybe you can call that.."Moctezumae's Revenge", lol.

Cheers,

Joe

WOW! That Pinguicula potosiensis x moctezumae Vic's Cross is STUNNING! Now if you could get the colorful leafs of that "victors victory" nto this plant without losing the HUGE blooms that would be even cooler!

Btw. how long do mexi pings take from seed-flower?
confused.gif

Wow...look at those flowers! Vic...you are pretty good at this!
biggrin.gif

Both are quite worthy of registration so...get to it! Sure would be nice to have those publicly available.

Great job!

Back