What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnats

Hi,

We have an explosion of gnats in our house(not in my cp collection). These guys are huge and fearless. They land on you and your food and allow themselves to be killed easily.
Can anyone recommend a good ping that will sit in a small shallow tray of water in a low humidity environment and still catch some of these? maybe one with hybrid vigor(P. x "Weser")?
The old vinegar "drown" traps will probably work, but this would be more fun.

Regards,

Joe

I think D.dichotama "giant" would be way better!

Would it keep it's dew that far above the pot in a low humidty situation?

Joe

Oh,I tottally forgot about that!
biggrin.gif

My best gnat catcher is my D. filiformis ssp. tracyi. Catches 'em by the dozens. But the humidity thing is a valid concern. They don't need THAT much, however, so it (or another drosera) would be worth a shot. My best gnat-catching ping is a p. moranensis, except for my p. primuliflora flower stalks, which catch tons, too.

Capslock

D. scorpioides work well in low humidity.
smile.gif

Well if you want to go the Drosera route nothing beats capensis for low humidity tolerance.

Now as for Pings, I would definitly go with a Mexi-Ping. My choice would be one of the larger moranensis or agnata forms or better yet a gigantea (double sided stickyness
smile.gif
)

If you like I have some cuttings going off my agnata clone that has hit 9" They are still pretty small but you are welcome to a couple of them.

yellow plants catch better then red plants with me....
biggrin.gif

That is why I recomended d.dichotima "giant".:D

Before it had a tantrum this fall and started growing all funky, my P. moranensis some how managed to capture tons and tons of gnats and fruitflies in my house that we didn't even knew existed. In the first 5 minutes of being in my house, 3 were attracted in and killed by it o_O

My bet would be on P. moranensis: I think they actually attract the flies more than Drosera would. My Sundews occasionally nab some gnats, but the Pings are pigs, and any growroom gnats make for the P. moranensis (and P. agnata) more than any other species.

I sure could use one of those here,LOL
Please come soon spring
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mark W.

Other pings to try would be hybrids between moranensis and ehlersiae. I know a grower who grows these plants on a windowsill with indirect bright light and low humidity. The plants(hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae from Longwood Garden) grew like mad and she was able to get twenty divisions from one plant in a single year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Jan. 18 2004,21:13)]My bet would be on P. moranensis: I think they actually attract the flies more than Drosera would.  My Sundews occasionally nab some gnats, but the Pings are pigs, and any  growroom gnats make for the P. moranensis (and P. agnata) more than any other species.
That's why I nicknamed mine Grim
smile.gif
Too bad it now seems to applie to it's likelyhood to survive.
sad.gif
I just wish I knew what varient it was. Then I could find out if it is actually dieing or just has a weird dormancey. *SOB* I don't know what else to do with it, I've tried everything I can think of!

Back