What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

24/7 lighting

fre8train

BANNED
Will keeping the flourescents on all the time have any side effects on growth? Will it not flower correctly ? will it speed up the growth of the plant? or do you think that it will kill the plants? I am considering this?

Hello,
Bad idea, first off, theres the cycle of photosynthesis, where plants make food for themsleves.To keep lights on 24/7, means that they would be making energy all day, they do this by taking in sunlight, water and C02, and making a form of sugar, glucose. So, with lights on all day, the calvin cycle wouldn't come into play. The calvin cycle, or dark cycle, is where at night the plant replenishes itself after a day of making food by eating it. Now, if it kept making, and making all this food, and not having a dark cycle to eat it, the plant would exhaust itself and die, because of no food. So, get more lights, and a heathy photoperiod.
Kevin

I agree with Kevin, a 14 hour photoperiod is best with 17 hours being the maximum photoperiod.

SF

Has anyone actually tried this? I ask because there ARE plants that can be grown this way.

Capslock

Only seedlings,and arctic plants can be grown this way. There have been studys on this and it has been proven fatal to most plants.
And even with seedlings anything over 18 hours will not be utelised and is therefore wasted.:(

There are a few pings and sundews up in alaska... Pinguicula vulgaris and Drosera rotundifolia... I bet they would do well with a 23 hour photoperiod

I know folks who are raising sarracenia seedlings in the 24/7 photoperiod, and getting good results as far as growth is concerned. They grow the seedlings for two years this way, returning the plant to a normal cycle after two years is up. I have heard from them that the plants grown this way have matured to flowering size in just 4 years. So far no ill effects have been noted where the seedlings are concerned. However, personally I feel that the jury is still out on this idea, until any possible side effects can or are noted by forcing a plant in this way. More important in my view is proper bottom heat for the seedlings kept growing through the winter on a 10 hour cycle. They will go dormant if the soil becomes too cold, but can grow for the same two year period with bottom heat, They will need to have their dormancy after that time.

Back