What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

its gone

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
my only butterwort is almost dead. After it flowered it just died. It only has a really, really tiny plantlet on it which is probably too small to live. What should I do?
(p. primuliflora)

The thing with primiflora (spelling?), they are annual pinguicual that die off after flowering for some time. The little plantlet should survive, as that is how they reproduce in the wild (other then flower/seed)

When I was growing my Pinguicula primuliflora outside it was very happy. I brought it in for the winter and I must have kept the soil to wet. They all rotted. I will most likely try this type again in the spring, but next winter keep the soil on the dry side.

Tamlin tells me his P. primuliflora lasts for years, but mine is currently putting up its fourth or fifth flower stalk of the winter, but just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Fortunately, it spawned a few plantlets that look fine, and one of them is flowering, too. I'm enjoying the flower show, but it's a little disconcerting watching the mother plant decline. It's not gone yet, though, so I have hope. I'm going to try to keep it a little less soggy and see if that helps. I have a P. esseriana and P. laueana (and an ever-expanding unknown utric colony) in the same pot that are doing great.

Capslock

Primuliflora is NOT an anual it is considered a short lived perenial,wether or not it can grow as an annual (reproduceing in a single year) I don`t know.

Seeing as this species is in the "Might be more then one species" catigory, I would imagin different plants behave quite differently from one another. . . granted nothing beats P. moranensis for inconsisten behavior, but still.

Back