What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pink I think

Here is a beauty. It smiles at me whenever I am about the growroom.

Pinguicula_ssp_010407.sized.jpg

And I'll bet you just have to smile back.
smile.gif

What a beauty. And the name?

It's a Pinguicula. A pink one.

errr, ummmmm....possibly P. laueana? The truth is, I lost the lable, and I am rather not up on my Pinguicula taxonomy, so y'all go easy on the old guy here!

nice, remind me my dead Pinguicula moranensis Ayautla
sad.gif
, but I doubt it's that.
Pinguicula_moranensis_rosei.jpg

Hi Tamlin,

This plant looks very much like my P. moranensis var. caudata 'Longwood' . I would guess that your plant is also somewhere in the moranensis complex. Do you have any flower shots?

Looks like moranensis? var. Fraser Beauty or 'Pirouette' or maybe something else.

That's a beauty!

This has been posted before...this is my P. moranensis var. caudata 'Longwood'...which came from you my dear.  
smile.gif

morcaudata11-03DRS.jpg

morcaudata11-03CRS.jpg

Mine looks different than yours I think.

!!!!

Well... mine ain't exactly like yours, William.... but PAK... it's even less like yours!! I can't believe our plants are the same variety... or maybe growing conditions have a greater effect on plant appearance than I though?

My plant:

DSC03396.JPG

anyone have any ideas? Which, if either, is legit? Are they the same variety after all?

P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is really a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae, and is very similar, if not the same as the cultivar 'Sethos'.

I think I would have to go with the hybrid with P. esseriana, not that I am any sort of authority on Pinguicula. I just like it because it's a very beautiful little plant. I don't have a flower photo to show, but I do have some other pink pings. Here is one that I embarassed just for this photo:

I think this might be the Longwood clone but I am just not too concerned with their identity. I am not a "serious" ping grower, and once the labels go as they ofttimes do, I don't go crazy trying to get to the ID back like I do with Drosera. This is heresy I know, but I just lack the focus and drive to understand these plants on a scientific level. One track mind I guess.

Pinguicula_moranensis_060503_2.sized.jpg

Mine looks very different from everybody elses.
rock.gif
So does that mean mine is incorrectly ID'ed? Would like to correct it if it is.

Heh, my P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" (same source as noah's and PAK) is an ugly common green. It's because it gets full indirect light. As for Tamlin, maybe it's p. 'Florian'?
pinguicula_cv_florian_Copyright_J_Flisek_01.jpg

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I have found that the plants can be chameleons, the smallest environmental changes can have a major influence on the vegetative appearance of the plants, yet usually the flowers characteristics are the most stable aspect across environmental variations. Though even flower characteristics are not immutable - I have seen size and color fluctuations with environmental differences, especially with tropical species and hybrids.</span>

Guess I will wait on the flower, not that the ID is all that important to me. I don't believe that the photos Pinguiculaman posted are the pink thing: to much P. esseriana in those, although I suppose it could be a type of pure P. moranensis. I never got a plant of P. 'Pirouette' or the plants Joseph posted so that seems to elimiate those possibilities. Whatever it is, it sure is a chameleon: no other plant I have looks like this, and it was grown from a leaf of something in my assortment of plants that broke off and was offhandedly put in a pot and forgotten.

*SOB* stop mocking my pathedict pings with your awsomely perfict super cool ones! LOL!  Seriously though, Droooool!  I want one of those like yours Tamlin, what kind is it, it looks like my P. moranensis when it's happy but pink?  How do you grow it and how much for a cutting? LOL!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is really a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae, and is very similar, if not the same as the cultivar 'Sethos'.

CP2k,

I agree that Noah's plant is a hybrid, but do not believe true P.moranensis var. caudata"Longwood" is one. The plants often distributed at LACPS meetings under that name are known to have mixed heritage, but are usually called the “Longwood” clone for convenience, I guess. I assume that's where Noah's plant came from.

PAK,

I don't know if your plant is the true P.moranensis var. caudata, but sure like the way it looks! Have you compared the flower to the one on Eric's site?

Here are a few pictures of the "LACPS Longwood" clone in bloom. The pot is a 4” round number set quite a ways from the lights. With better light, the plant takes on a wonderful red hue.

P1300022.1.JPG
P1280024.JPG
P1210022.JPG

I am not sure if the plants at Longwood are mislabeled or if this plant was mislabeled by growers, but it looks exactly like my 'Sethos' in all aspects. I also grow the true moranensis var. caudata from Slack's nursery and the leaves are nowhere near as red as the leaves on the "moranensis var. caudata-Longwood Garden" when grown side by side.

Well, I hope we figure out exactly what the LACPS Longwood is - because I just cross-pollinated it with esseriana...I'd like to find out what it is if the seed set is fertile because I'll likely start distributing it at meetings.

Uh, Suzanne, how come your "Longwood" has purple flowers?
wow.gif

Back