What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pink I think

[b said:
Quote[/b] (larry @ Feb. 02 2004,01:46)]Uh, Suzanne, how come your "Longwood" has purple flowers?
wow.gif
That's a good question larry.

I have an even better one though...why did the "longwood" clone you sent me a while back form hibernacula before dying off? :p

Arg, that's it! I'm gonna email Longwood. Will keep you posted on their reply.

Larry...that's not purple.  Looks BLUE to me!  lol  
tounge.gif
Actually it wasn't blue either.  That is the fault of my camera.  One reason I'm dying for a new camera is that it can't reproduce certain shades of red, blue and pink accurately...purples look blue, blues look purple, pinks look red, etc.
sad.gif

Forbes...I will try to post a pic of the flowers.  Another reason I want a new camera is that I can't get sharp close ups.  It produced two flowers at the same time and was really pretty.  I shot it a hundred times and not not one decent photo of the flowers.  But I'll look at them again and see if I can fine one that is clear enough for any comparison.  It seems my ping doesn't look like anybody elses.  
sad.gif
  However, I thought it was quite a handsome plant.  Would love to get a positive ID if possible.  The flowers did not have a straight spur like the one pictured above.  It was curved forward in a hook.  I think you can see that in my photos.

These sure are some beautiful ping photos and plants.  People don't give pings their due respect.  
smile.gif

PAK,

Ever think it's just your light sources on the photos?

Hey PAK,
You've got PS skillz - it's not deception if the flower really is a certain color and you need to change it in software to match!

The person who gave the person who distributes the "LACPS Longwood" clone the original plant from which this confusion emanates, said when asked about the origins of the plants (this was a while ago) that they come from seed produced by pollinating a plant from Longwood with some other ping. He couldn't remember at the time. Longwood Gardens may or may not have a misidentified 'caudata,' but I'm fairly certain the plant I photographed has genes from some other location too. <Anyone want to try to write something more confusing and disorderly than that?>

Nearly everyone who has attended an LACPS meeting has come away with one of these plants, so at least half the people who have posted on this thread probably grow the thing.

At any rate, PAK's plant doesn't look anything like the LACPS material to my eye, and William's plant looks a little different too.

PAK,
If you propagate your whatever-it-may-be, I'd love to trade.

True, so true Michelle.  
tounge.gif
  However any color correction you do applies to the entire image therefore changing the color of the plant which was pretty accurate. It was a very fleshy pinkish red color.  If you really want to do that, you can select a specific area to correct but you have to be pretty accurate in selecting all the areas you want to change and not get areas you don't.  Which is a pain.

Sure Forbes...
smile.gif
I'd like to propagate this one.  It grew pretty fast and I'll be interested to see what it does this year.

Here are two poor photos of the flowers.  The color is more accurate with the flowers although one was more exposed to light than the other.  The plant color is off a bit.

caudatalong1.jpg

caudatalong2.jpg

Whatcha think?  
rock.gif

Whatcha think? Well, PAK, I think your plant is gorgeous. Whether you identify it or not, growing one that has got to be a pleasure!

Well thank you Bug.
smile.gif
Yes, it is a pleasure. To date, my largest and prettiest ping. I like it a lot. It would just be helpful to have an accurate ID for distributing it once I get some babies going.

PAK Said:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However any color correction you do applies to the entire image therefore changing the color of the plant which was pretty accurate.

Hey PAK,

Couldn't you just create a mask of the flower and adjust the coloring like that? It shouldn't really effect the rest of the colors unless you're using a limited palette, which seems silly.

Yeah, I could. I guess my point is...I'd rather have a camera that can record the color correctly than to have to go through all that extra hassle tweaking on different spots of a photo (or 20 photos!) to make it look right. Supposed it was a photo of an oncidium in bloom and the flower color was off? I ain't gonna mask 30 flowers and color correct each one. lol :p

Of course, I gotta find the money for the camera first. Til then, I'll have to live with incorrect color and blurry close ups and tweak 'em as best I can.
sad.gif
Don't get me wrong...its been a great little camera and I've taken some good photos with it. But I just need something better now as all the constant "tweaking" takes too much time.

Okay, here's the scoop - don't know why they called me Mister though
rock.gif

Dear Mr. Yeung

Thank you for your interest in what is very likely on of the plants Longwood distributed in the past. Here is the information I was able to gather from our records:

We received it (1 plant) on May 15, 1958 through plant exchange from Mr. Marcel Lecoufle in France (Orchidees-Anthurium-Caladium-Plantes de Collection, 1 Rue de l'Eglise, Boissy-Saint-Leger)

It was received as Pinguicula caudata, later the name was changed to P. moranensis, and still later to P. moranensis 'Superba'. The plant was widely distributed from Longwood, with three major distributions in 1977, 1979, and 1981. Unfortunately, at various times if was distributed under one of the above three names, but it always carried Longwood's accession number 19581059 (in the past abbreviate to 581059).

Longwood Gardens did not assign to this plant a cultivar name 'Longwood', but it appears that it was thought of as a superior plant, therefore it was offered for distribution on three occasions. Our records indicate that the plant had deep carmine flowers, with lighter throat and reddish lines. We had this plant until about 1995.

I would be very much interested to hear from you about the current status of this plant.

Best regards

Tomasz Anisko

Dr. Tomasz Anisko
Curator of Plants
Longwood Gardens
*I've taken off his contact info*

Does anyone have any questions for him before I write him back? I was going to mention that it is being distributed by LACPS - and if anyone has an extra in good condition I think we should offer to send him one!
biggrin.gif

I think that's a great idea. It seems by the way he phrased everything that they don't have a clone of the plant about.

And if a leaf or two fall off on packing, keep me in mind. ;)

Hey Suzanne, now THOSE flowers are looking the way they're supposed to
smile.gif

Does your camera have the White Balance feature? If so, use it, it makes a big difference.

Back