What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need two pics of lauena

• Thread starter Vertigo
  • Start date
Does anyone happen to have two pictures of the same P. lauena, dormant and not?

Is this what you mean by dormant? The term doesn't really apply to P. laueana, it does form smaller more succulent leaves in Winter as conditions are cooler and drier, but it's not exactly asleep! (Owen note the long spurs on this species too!)

P. laueana 'CP2'  February 2004

CP2pot.jpg

The same plant, taken last October, showing the transition between summer, glandular leaves and hairy succulent ones.

laueanatrans1.jpg

Vic

Wow Vic, is that a flower with a dual spur all the way on the right? That looks REALLY nice like that if it is.

So as far as lauena goes, if I notice little hairs instead of dew, I should cut back on watering quite a bit then?

Sorry for the silly questions, I moved all my pings about recently and they tend to look very different when they have to adjust to different lighting.

As soon as you notice that the leaves being produced are getting much smaller, start to cut back on the water. Once the summer leaves have all gone, I stop watering. I don't water again until they start back into summer growth, around mid-March under my conditions.

Sharp eyes Owen
smile.gif
Its not a fully double spur, it splits into two about a 1/4 of the way up, at about the point you can see it in the picture. This particular plant is splitting into 3 rosettes, hence the mass flowering.

Vic

Easier said then done to notice different leaves when you change the type of lighting they get. For instance, I have P. esseriana against a light and it's pink with broad upturned margins, the same clones are growing a few feet from lights and there are no margins, many more leaves, and just an overall roundness to the plant. The leaves are definately smaller though. I just figured it put out more smaller leaves to increase surface area for photosynthesis just like other plants start putting out longer broader leaves but fewer.

I figure it's not really "dormant" since I can still see roots scrambling every so often.

Is that the only flower that that's happened to or does this happen to be a trait that popped up in this specific clone?

Back