What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. ionantha

Has anyone had success reproducing P. ionantha from leaf cuttings?  I haven't found much information on this regarding this species.

-Homer

Hmmm, I don't know. It's semi-rare so I dought many have risked it. I have seen them clone themselves though. They have a big self cloned clump at the Miejer Gardens.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>I have a few pots of this species. As Darcie said, they seem to develop into clumps. I recently had spider mites attach two individual plants I had been growing from seed produced by selfing the plants that have always been growing well.

My reponse was to unpot them and soak them for a week or so in a container of distilled water kept in the refrigerator. Then I moved them from there to a ziploc plastic bag with a little moist LFS and kept that in the refrigerator for about 4 more weeks. After this treatment I observed the plants just prior to planting them out. Each plant was a large cluster of swelling buds and little plantlets (similar to what you see in tissue culture at shoot initiation stages) all growing out from the bases of the remaining old leaves and the stems. I assume this behavior is a result of the earlier attack by spider mites as I have observed similar behavior with other plants, CP included, after spider mite attacks.

Presently these clumps of little plants are gradually growing larger. My plan is to divide these clumps into smaller groups in order to increase my holdings of this delightful species.</span>

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photograph of a pot full of Pinguicula ionantha The fluorescent arrows are pointing out ripe seed pods.

p_ionantha_A1.jpg
</span>

Wow that is beutiful! I love the flourecsent pink buds!

Back