What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pot crammed full of Pings...

Greetings to all of you,

I've got this little plastic pot (about 3 or 4 inches across) filled with the Ping X.Gina/Hans. I bought this little pot last summer, not knowing it would probably be more than 1 plant. But after a while, she started to produce smaller leaves, revealing about 8 (or more!!) growing points. As far as I know, Pings do not have multiple grow points on 1 plant, so I guess that there are way too many poor little plants in this tiny container. My questions are; what is the best way to transplant the little ones to their own pot? What ground should I use? And Should I wait till spring?

I would be very thankful if you guys can help me out with this one.

WildFire

Hello Wildfire,

What you have there is in the group called Mexican pings.

They like a very open soil.  I use a blend of sand, perlite, NZ ground spaghnum, and I also add some of the bottom gravel for aquariums.  It does a great job of not letting the soil blend get too hard for their little root systems.  Many Mexipings love a bit of calcium as well and you can add to the soil mix a bit of small pumice, crushed coral (that has been soaked in distilled water and well rinsed to eliminate any potential salts that may be in it) or what I use is a calci-sand that is used for reptiles that can be found at full line pet stores.

Once you've got your soil mixed and damp, your pots ready with labels then you can carefully pop the plants out of their current pot and gently separate into 2-4 nice divisions and repot.  I use a plant label to tuck in the soil a bit around the roots while gently holding some leaves above soil line.  After water in fairly well, and I usually give a spritz of Superthrive and/or dilute Epiphytes Delight to encourage root formation.

One additional thing... Mexipings don't like it really wet all the time.  I let them dry down a bit until their barely damp and then bottom water.
Hope it helps.

smile.gif
you may have gotten just one Ping, but they have a habbit of cloneing themselves. You can repot if you like, but don't be too surprised if in a few months you start to get more new plants
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Feb. 14 2004,03:27)]
smile.gif
you may have gotten just one Ping, but they have a habbit of cloneing themselves. You can repot if you like, but don't be too surprised if in a few months you start to get more new plants
smile.gif
LOL, well, in that case, I guess I have a nice supply of pings to give away. Thanks for the replies, Cobyguy and Darcie! Btw, Cobyguy, I saved your reply to a text file for future reference. Thanks again.
cool.gif

Back