What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

two pics P. 'Weser' F2  &

Was just taking a couple photos to update my website :

P. 'Weser' F2, one of many grown from seed

weserf2.jpg

P.moranensis var. caudata

caudata.jpg

Hey seedling,

Did you happen to obtain the p. moranensis var caudata from someone who got it at an LACPS meeting? Sometimes labeled as p.moranensis var. caudata 'longwood' I've found out recently that it's p. moranensis 'superba' (see the fourth page of post http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....6;st=30 )

..just checking ;)

The longwood "caudata" is definetly not this plant as the flowers do not have the strong veining. I think that the plant was mislabeled when it was sent to the U.S. or there was some mixup along the way. Looks more like the moranensis x ehlersiae hybrid, 'Sethos'. Here is a photo of moranensis 'Superba'.
P.moranensis 'Superba'

I got this in a private trade from a Canadian source. Not sure where he got his plant from.

Andre

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a photo of a plastic shoebox size tray of F2 plants.

These plants were produced by self pollinating Pinguicula 'Sethos', which is itself a hybrid of (Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis). As expected the F2 generation is demonstrating segregation. Some of the progeny appear more like one or the other of the original parents. For example the small green one near the very center of the photograph has leaves shaped very much like Pinguicula ehlersiae, quite more so than the Pinguicula 'Sethos' parent. Most show variation in leaf shape, size, vigor, and coloration. I am anxious to see how they flower out. Technically they should each be unique genetic individuals. This outcome of much diversity between siblings is to be expected in F2 generations. Ergo more potential for outstanding clones worthy of further interest is possible.

F2_p_Sethos_x_self_A1.jpg

Don't forget though to keep the names of such F2 plants straight. They are not replica's of the mother plant as vegetative propagations often are. It is often easier to keep their status clear if you revert to the original hybrid formula when keeping track of their name. In this case these plants would each carry the name: [[(Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis)] x [(Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis)]] or simply [(Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis) x self].

If any were submitted for cultivar registration, that's when they would be given a unique cultivar name.</span>

Back